plane travel - long haul

siany

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie here :wave: . Hope you are all feeling well and enjoying the 2nd tri! I was wondering if anyone has expereince of flying abroad whilst pregnant. I told my boss I was pregannat last week and he was horrified that I have a holiday booked in Bali in April. I will be 20weeks when i go, and 23 weeks when I fly back (lucky me!) . I was really looking forward to this. However, my boss said this could be really dangerous and I should consider cancelling the holiday. I am going to discuss it in depth with my MW at my appointment next week, but was wondering what you all thought.

:wave: welcome to 2nd Tri.

I have just brought this problen up this morning (don't know if you've seen my post??) Before 28 weeks it seems like it's ok (although long haul might be hard work!! I struggle when I'm not pregnant.. I'd check with your midwife first. )
I've just spoke to my midwife about flying at 30 weeks (only to France) and she wasn't impressed and adviced me against it :(
I hadn't booked anything, but I'm disappointed cos I was looking forward to it. I daren't go tho cos if the midwife says it's not a good idea it might be dangerous for my baby! After 28 weeks you need a doctors certificate to say you are fit enough to fly and she said i might struggle getting insurance-so at least you wouldn't struggle with these problems.
I'm looking into UK alternatives now!!
Hope you get it sorted!

thanks sarah. I have just noticed your post :doh: I am usual OK on long haul flights as I have the capacity to sleep standing up if needs be!!!! I think you are right I need to check it out with the MW. Sorry to hear your trip to France is off. What about the Euro star. I have been on this and it is really comfortable and stops in Paris.

I think it depends on how your pregnancy has progressed, how you are and if you feel you are up to an 8/10 hour plus flight each way with possible delays, sitting round etc. Your MW is best to advise on all that. You may be fine now, but develop a small problem in a few weeks that would mean she would advise against it.

I wasn't that big at 20 weeks but by 23 I had a farily large bump and found sitting for too long in one position/chair uncomfy. I'd have flown a couple of hours, but I'd personally not want to sit long haul at that point. But others are happy to do so. The airport waiting, check in 2 hours ahead and all that would do for me. I just could not have coped with all that plus a long flight.

There are increased risks when flying during pregnancy. I am sure your MW will explain and about how much of an increase it actually is.

Keeping hydrated, moving around, wearing flight socks etc would all be good to do.

Also consider as has been said medical insurance. You should get this if PG and going away in case anything happens while overseas. Even something as simple as drinking some iffy water could make you ill and give you the runs and dehydrate you etc. Not good for LO or you. Hard to know when you go overseas as to the standards of care given also.

check with the airline and your insurance!!! Some airlines have changed their policy as to pregnant passangers

I'm not sure about comfort with a bump etc (not reached that stage yet!) but it can be dangerous if you have specific health issues / history - I suffered a DVT after flying a few years ago so I have to avoid flying when pregnant as the risk of another is high. But if you have no history of blood clotting disorders (& there's no history in your family - worth double checking) then you should be fine from this point of view.

Sounds like a lovely trip but worth speaking to a few health professionals for their expert opinion. If you don't go you may be able to get a refund on your travel insurance if you booked before you knew you were pregnant xxx

Hello,

Welcome to Tri 2.

I'll be flying to America during easter, I think I'll be around 23 weeks by then.

I loked into insurnace and most normal policies cover you up to around 26 weeks. I need to speak properly with my MW about this but when I mentioned it to my old MW (I moved) she says it was ok so long as you have a complication free pregnancy.

Alex xxx

Hi welcome to 2nd tri!

I'm 20 weeks gone and went to the theatre the other night, after 2 hours of sitting my legs were killing me with cramps and I was quite uncomfortable, my bump is huuuge though lol! So I deffo wouldn't be getting on no plane now!!!!

I think it depends on how your pregnancy develops as Sherlock said, see what your MW says, but you will be the best judge of how you will cope xx

i flew to singapore when i was 23 weeks and came back at 25. 15 hours each way. Not a problem at all , (but then again i wasnt big or uncomfortable). Just follow the guidelines e.g flightsocks and keep hydrated. As mentioned, most insurance is valid up to 26 weeks so you'll be fine.

I wouldnt cancel your holiday cos its the last one you'll have without a baby!!! Just be careful eating and drinking abroad, make sure your insect repellent is pregnancy-friendly, and dont stay out in the sun too much!!

Hi sorry for barging into tri 2 :oops:

I have a holiday to Canada booked in May and I will be around 20 weeks flying out and 23 weeks coming back. I talked it over with my midwife at my booking appointment and she said that providing there are no complications i.e. blood pressure etc. and so long as it isn't a multiple birth, she can't see any reason why not. She said it would be advisable to get a letter from the midwives to confirm due date in case airlines demand it. She also said to make sure to walk about on the plane and keep hydrated and possibly to wear those stockings to ward off DVT.

The travel insurance policies appear to be fine for cover providing you are not more than 12 weeks to your due date (or 16 with multiple births). My flight will only be 7 hours though so not too long haul :D

:hug: thank everyone for the advice. I did have some complications in the begining of my pregnancy but everything is ok now. When buying the travel insurance they said that it was fine under 26 weeks. We have been on the travel forum for Bali and got the names of some really good hospitals in the Kuta area. I will defo get a pair of flight socks. I am also going to ring the airline to see if I can book the front seats with the extra leg room. Saying all this if MW says "no go" or anything changes in my pregnancy I will cancel. Cheers fro all the advice.

Hi there,

I know it's a while ago now! I just wondered if you ended up going to Bali and I were there any complications?

Hope all went well!

I flew to Germany when I was 28weeks and had no problems, I flew with easy jet. You can fly up to 35 Weeks with them without a certificate from GP as long as you have had a uncomplicated pregnancy. I also got insurance through a company called club direct.

I was told by gp and midwife I was ok to fly to australia up to 28 weeks I could go shorter haul for a little longer in pregnancy so you should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back