pocket money for 10/11/12 year olds

kazzie-bo

Reaction score
hi how much pocket money (if any lol) do you give your children? and what do they buy out of it ie do they buy their own clothes, trainers all toys/computer games etc or is it just for saving up or treats only? and can they "earn" more by doing chores or do they get money taken away etc if they have not done things?

thanks in advance and hopefully this will solve the arguments i have been having with my nearly 11 year old!!

kaz x

my kids are slightly younger than yours but we have a pocket money jar each, through the week they get 10 or 20 p for doing jobs for us, they also get money taken away if they are naughty. at the end of the week they can do what they want with the money. Dylan usually buys a magazine and sophie usually saves hers until she can afford a toy

MY DS is 8

We put £15 into his bank account every month and he saves up for big things he wants, last thing was a Wii (baring in mind he also has birthday and xmas money in there too)

On a day to day basis we will ask him to do stuff for extra or reward him with the odd £1 here and there... usually using it as a bribe for doing things like bringing us the odd cup of tea in bed in the morning hehe!

We found giving him money in his hand burnt a hole in his pocket and he *had* to spent on rubbish so it works much better that the majority of money is in the bank being saved and he still gets the expierience of having small amounts of money to spend friviously too (usually on small toys or a magazine)

He has to do chores as part of being part of the family but it depends day to day what that may be, ususally stuff like the bins, taking the washing down stairs, helping with peeling spuds, that kind of thing.

Aww my poor kids dont get any hahha :lol:
We just tend to get them things if their behavior has been good! Little things etc but really at the min they dont need any money! We have said that soon, now they are older and can do more things lol they can start "earning" money to put away?! They do save up their xmas and birthday money and buy things (like a Wii) though tbh that does make it harder as to what to get them for xmas lol (though thats a different story! lol)

Tia's 9 and she gets 2€ a week on a Friday after school to go buy these pointless little animal toy things that she is collecting. I try to convince her to save up but she never does... :roll: But its her money she has to buy it...

She doesn't get enough to buy bigger things like clothes etc... but a good judgement is to ask them one day how much do they think a house will cost/then ask about a car/ then ask about a new pair of jeans. Tia has no concept of money. In the sense that she can by a house for 100€ or its millions of euros... a pair of jeans 10c so she really doesn't require large amounts right now because she can't understand saving. She will save for a couple of weeks then think she has loads of money. :rotfl:

She used to get a euro and now its two... She'll get 5€ next year. At the moment its more to get her used to having money that she spends on stuff herself. What I will do though is if we are out and she wants something that I think is expensive (like a pack of funky lolly pops cost 1.80€), I will offer her a choice... to have her money early and buy those lolly pops or to wait and get her money as normal. She really loves these little animal things, so will forgo the sweeties to get the toy... so in a sense she is learning how to save, but in a shorter term. Baby steps so to speak. :D

I have a 12 yr old & a 15 yr old, they both get the same pocket money.
I give them both £5.00 each per week and so does my OH's nan so they both get £10.00 each per week.
They're really good little savers and have usually got more money stashed in their room than i have in the bank!!!

Mine dont get any, i tried giving them a weekly amount, but they just spent it on crap.

Now i give them money for swimming and sweets which is earned by tidying and good behavior.

They get treats such as toys bought for them once in a while but have no hard cash of there own

My eldest boys are 15 and 13. They get £10 each a week and they spend it on anything they like, swimming, games or save it for larger things.
When they were 11 they got £5 a week.
My 7 and 5 year olds get 50p lol for getting their words right at school, evil mum but i cant afford them yet with the other 2 getting £20 out of me :lol:

Charlie is ten and a half nearly and he gets £5 a week off my parents which he saves up at their house for spending on whatever...
I tend to give him £20 every school holiday to spend on whatever.
Don't expect him to buy clothes or anything like that but don't expect him to spend it all on crap either.
He gets the odd couple of quid here n there to go get treats from the shop but we try not to just reward with money for him doin his chores... he gets other treats like days out n stuff aswell as bits of pocket money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back