Pro's and con's of natural birth?

Lewa

Reaction score
Hi! I'm peaking in here a bit early :p But I think I want to try to do the birth as naturally as possible, and I've been reading about it online, but to make that decision I feel like I need to make it early so I can prepare, both mentally and physically, and I'm just wondering what the pro's and con's of it actually are. When I google it I tend to end up on very very pro websites, and I guess the information on those can be very one sided, so thought it might be good to ask all of you to get some more varied opinions! :)

(By natural I mean vaginally (clearly) and with as little medication as possible. Maybe gas and air, but preferrably nothing else, or even that)

Hope you are all doing great! A lot of exciting things going on here by the look of it :)

I'm just wondering, do you consider tens machine ok for natural birth? I also want to do it as naturally as possible, but not sure about tens machines...

Pros:
Shorter recovery time (less time in hospital)
More relaxed
Less monitoring
Baby less effected by meds
Mumless effected by meds
Less risk of intervention needed

Cons:
Can't think of any

You have to do what you feel comfortable with. But I think for me it was not wanting to be restricted or messed with
:flower:

Btw, all I had was paracetamol, codeine, tens and a bath. I used a birthing ball a lot and DH helped me through each contraction :flower:

For me the intense pain made me panic, I couldn't think and just lost the plot. So a delivery with an epidural allowed me to relax and enjoy the experience. I could have a nap and save my energy for the pushing. Aim for what you think will suit you and keep a very open mind because birth rarely follows any plan xx

honestly I don't know if I consider a tens machine ok. I mean, my midwife hasn't talked through any of this with me yet since I've only seen her once, so most of my information comes from watching one born every minute really :p

If it is necessary I'll have an epidural, c-section, whatever is needed, but I'm hoping I can manage with as little stuff attached to me as possible...

I have a quite high pain threshold, and I've experienced quite a lot of pain.. so I'm thinking I might be able to, since I know it's all "natural" and necessary for the baby to be born. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to go without pain medication etc if the same type of pain would be caused by a decease or something... but hoping that knowing it's not dangerous can help me cope..

preferably I'd do it with as little gas and air as possible too, just cause it seems that if you use it too much it's harder to stay mobile as well.. I'm hoping for a water birth really. I think that to me that would be ideal, I know they have one at the maternity center I'll be giving birth, but you never know if it'll be available I guess..

when does your midwife start talking about your birth-plan with you?? I'm seeing her the week after next and hope we can discuss it then, (I actually wanted to discuss it at my 8 week appointment, but that was not the right time apparently :p)

My midwife hasn't talked to me about my birth plan at all yet... But she is like that - if you want to get some info out of her you have to ask for it.

They normally discuss it with you at 36 week appointment

For me the intense pain made me panic, I couldn't think and just lost the plot. xx

I think
That is where hypnobirthing, or even just an awareness is useful for some (not everyone cos each experience is entirely different) as it gives you more coping strategies x

at 36 weeks?? That's seems so late! No time to catch up with practicing relaxation, breathing and other "natural" pain relief methods in so little time... hm..

Last edited:
at 36 weeks?? That's seems so late! No time to do catch up with practicing relaxation, breathing and other "natural" pain relief methods in so little time... hm..
Well it was covered in antenatal classes earlier but you discuss actual birth plan at 36 week app.

TBH I am going in with an open mind and wont turn down anything except Pethadine, codeine made me feel terrible enough.

In the end of the day, if I end up having an emergency c-section, I will not be beating myself up about it.

We practised breathing and relaxation at my NCT classes as well but knowing how low my pain threshold is, I wont be relying on it.

A lot of course depends on your attitude as it is important to keep calm because adrelanine kills oxytocin but its my first so i have no idea what it's like and will go with the flow.

I've not talked about pain relief, only discussed having a home birth with my midwife as I knew before I even conceived I didn't want any medical intervention unless there was a risk to the baby. I'm going down the hypnobirthing route so if your thinking of this it's best to begin looking into it now. Water is also meant to be fantastic for a natural birth.

I can't think of any cons to a natural birth either but you need to be in the right mindset so you don't panic. You have to let your body do it's job and not be scared so you can relax.

I had a quick labour last time but was very young, scared and naive so really panicked, I got through with just a tens machine, probably because I was just lucky, I think if it had lasted any longer I would have asked for everything going! I've done lots of research this time and mentally prepared so hopefully I won't panic. Personally I don't like the idea of all the drugs going into my baby or the side effects they could cause, I want to be in control and enjoy bringing my baby into the world and not out of it but I'm open minded enough to realise things could change if there are complications.

I wanted a natural birth and didn't do any research as was worried it would put me off.
I either wanted to push my daughter out normally (excuse the bluntness lol) or have a water birth, but as my daughter arrived at 35 weeks+ we were not able to use the pool. They said they only really like doing it at 36 weeks+.

Like you I have a good pain threshold too.
I did end up giving birth to my daughter naturally without any pain killers ect but where I was exhausted she got a bit stuck (near the end I was unable to feel the contractions so weren't always pushing, well that what the midwives told me anyway) So she had to get finally get pulled out with the use of vontuse.

Pro's:
Shorter recovery time-less time in hospital. (this didn't happen in my case due to a few probs)
More relaxed
Less monitoring
Baby less effected by meds
Muml ess effected by meds
Less risk of intervention needed

Cons:
I can't really comment on this hun, I don't think there is any unless you do happen to feel the pain.

Just to even things up I'll do my pro and con list:

Pro:
erm..............

Cons:
The horrific pain and sheer terror.

Now don't get me wrong, you also get less monitoring but for me that was not a good thing - I had such little monitoring that they didn't even notice my baby's heart rate was dipping during contractions (cord wrapped round her neck twice). Less time in hospital is true in some cases but most of the women who had c-sections and epidurals were out within a day or two too. I don't think it is a bad thing spending a little extra time in hospital with your first as you have all the nurses to ask if you are concerned about anything in those first few hours/days.

As you can probably gather, I never wanted a natural birth (as in no pain relief) but by the same token wasn't screaming and writhing in pain, quite the contrary, I was stuck on a ward in the middle of the night and left to labour alone by myself for 5 hours. I never expected to push with no pain relief and felt sheer terror and unbelievable pain when I did. I hope that for those who have mentally prepared for it that that helps and that it isn't so frightening.

I knew it was going to be terrible pain but I never expected to actually have to go through it as I always assumed I'd get an epidural. I don't have a low pain threshold, I couldn't have as I laboured to 10cm in silence on a ward but I personally never want to go through that again.

I'm not trying to put you off, I think pain etc.. is largely about mental control but I think far too many people romanticise giving birth and don't fully remember the pain. Also there are some lucky folk who really don't find it as horrific as the rest of us. I am lucky that I didn't tear or need stitches or forceps but I can't imagine how much worse that would have been.

I'm so sorry to have put it quite like this but I guess all I really want to say is that you should consider being open minded to pain relief if you feel you need it at the time- I worry about people feeling that they have 'failed' if they accept it. The prize is the same at the end. xx

Last edited:
Phew I'm so glad you've said that Annie, I couldn't agree with you more! I thought I was going to be the only person who preferred a pain free birth to my birth without pain relief xx

I am too so glad youve said this annie!I totally respect every ladies decision, and i think its great that some of you want to have a totally natural labour!Before i had sam i wanted a water birth so much and wanted to do everything as naturally as possible. In the end i had to have an episiotomy and boy was i glad to have the local anaesthetic, gas and air and diamorphine. I already felt a failure because i couldnt push him out myself and he had to be forcepd out, but i dont feel guilty about the drugs!Id definately go into labour with an open mind again xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

I tried natural and ended up almost a day later having forceps, vontouse and then an emergency c section and all I'd say now is if u need pain relief go for it!! All that pain and there was no need! That's my opinion! I'd def get an epidural again! X

^^ I freely admit that I was very lucky with T. I had a friend who over researched and was very fixed in her ideal birth and that was it, no room for movement within this. MY birth plan was more of bullet points on what I preferred to happen. My friend ended up with a emergency section and had real problem accepting it after... anyway what I am trying to say I guess is do a birth plan, but don't make it too rigid. Be aware of what is available to you but do not over research into it. Generally the midwives will suggest what is better for you and the baby within their guidelines :flower:

I was always expecting that I would have an epidural during my labour. I was induced and from the minute they broke my waters I was having fairly strong contractions all in my back.
Once I had been put on the drip the pain increased tenfold. I had the worst pain I could imagine shooting down my right thigh with every single contraction. I asked for an epidural which was given to me but it didn't work. My tummy and back were numb but I was still getting the pain in my leg. Believe me, if they had given me an axe I would have chopped my own leg off rather than go through that pain.
I wasn't offered any other pain relief as when they went to put the epidural in again, I got the urge to push and was examined and found to be 9cms.
I did the rest on gas and air. After an hour more of this god awful pain I was 10 cms and could start pushing.
I pushed for nearly 3 hours before they decided to help me with a ventouse delivery. I also had an episiotomy (sp?).
The only way I would ever go through childbirth again would be if I could be guaranteed no pain!
Go into your labour with an open mind hun, then you won't be disappointed if things don't go the way you want them to. Remember the only important thing is that your baby and you are safe and well.
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back