Self Employed query

peanut1982

Reaction score
Just wondered if any self-employed folk on here have applied for Maternity Allowance? I'm self-employed trading as a sole trader, and plan to stop working a couple of weeks before my due date in October and claim MA for a few months to tide me over until the beginning of 2009.

I know that if you do any work during the time off you lose your entitlement to MA, but what about getting paid during the time off for invoices sent prior to stopping work? With the nature of my business, people don't always stump up payment for invoices right away. Provided folk have been invoiced before I go on maternity leave, will this be ok or will I lose my entitlement if someone pays an invoice whilst I'm on leave?

Hope this makes some sense, thought I'd check if anyone had any experience of this before I try contacting the job centre folk and quizzing them.

Thanks,

Sarah

I'd say as long as you invoiced before you maternity leave there shouldnt be a problem as you've carried the work out before materity leave so your not working just recieving money. Ive had payments for work done before maternitey leave. Just make sure on your accounts (if you do them yourself) that you put that it was invoiced on whatever date incase they ask to see your books which i very much doubt. :)

Thanks HappyChick, you've confirmed what I was thinking! Much appreciated.

Sarah x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back