She's been admitted :(

I don't understand. They're not treating her for reflux or doing tests, so why not let her and you go home?? Has anyone considered Pyloric Stenosis or anything like that?

They want to observe her and help me with the crying. They think I have created this mini monster myself by feeding her when she cries and having her close to me all the time. They say she has got too used to being held now and won't accept anything else and that's why she is crying because she wants picking up. Although that doesn't explain the vomiting/choking/gasping and irritability feeding. I find it really difficult to accept this diagnosis.

I really didn't think it was possible to do this to a small baby. I also didn't think it was possible to overfeed them. But apparently I'm wrong.

Maybe if thru watch her they will realise there is more to it. Hope ur both ok x

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I think they're wrong. Every book I've read says you can't overfeed them and you certainly can't spoil them at 7 weeks old

They're basically saying do controlled crying then on the basis that you're apparently picking her up too much?

And what are you meant yo do about feeding her? Pull her off halfway through? Surely if her weight gain has not been excessive and she's on same centime each time you're not over feeding?

God I'm annoyed for you!! You must be so frustrated. What's their plan for helping you?

That is APPALLING. Your baby is so little! I really hope she kicks off big time do they can see how wrong they are. They must have some inkling that there is a problem or why have they kept you in?

I'll find out tomorrow Becky.

Now essentially what had happened is the baby has been crying all day. She's been prodded and poked and cross for hours. They even had to give her paracetamol to calm her down earlier.

I fed her about 7.30-8 and she was very very sick. We were both soaked and I told the staff. She didn't go off to sleep after that feed and I spent the next 3-4 hours trying to get her to kip. She wasn't particularly crying/screaming at this point though, just not sleeping. Then I fed her again. And she was sick again a bit. I got her off to sleep and they took her away. She's been crying on and off for periods and they brought her back to me to feed her at 2.30. She was sleeping so I fed her and put her back down minus burping etc cos she effectively fed whilst being asleep. Because she hasn't slept all day she is now zonko and has made a liar out of me.

I can NEVER lay her flat like that at home. She will continuously vomit on herself and get herself wound up. I can't hear her so I can only assume she is asleep. :wall:

I have no idea what they are going to say. :( I don't see how I am over feeding and making her sick when she will be sick 5 mins into a feed when I burp her.

That is APPALLING. Your baby is so little! I really hope she kicks off big time do they can see how wrong they are. They must have some inkling that there is a problem or why have they kept you in?

To make sure I guess pinky.

I'm frustrated because I don't think anything is going to change now. I had all of my hopes on us turning a corner after today's appointment and it's looking like we've taken a step back.

I.e not only will she not change, but no one will help us now because she is not considered to be ill.

This is so frustrating.

If you end up being sent home can you video her going through one?

They've already seen the paddies earlier. She was inconsolable.

Had I been at home I would have fed her. They insisted she didn't need feeding because she had just fed (despite me detaching halfway through so te doctor could examine her) they have said she shouldn't be on the breast more than 15 mins and if she's crying after being fed for longer than that it's not hunger because she's just been fed.

I don't agree with that either, but what do I know.

I know I am coming home tomorrow no further forward on all of this

Can you ring a local bfing group? Feeding more than 15 mins is normal. At that age I'd have Tyler attached for hours. These lots sound so ignorant to bfing!

Bloody hell. How annoying! Big hugs - they all sound like a bunch of eejits. xxx

:hugs: how awful.

I'd agree with pinky. Is there a LLL nearby that you could contact. Even now G as occasions where she's on for more that 15mins.

Are they saying that over feeding is the explanation for the sickness??

Xxx

Yes, that's why they are saying is causing her to be sick. Though I'm not sure how it can be of she's sick when I wind her after 5 mins

I have some baby gaviscon if you want me to post it to you x

I got it off my sister because my son would scream blue murder all the time and wouldn't feed properly but i didn't use it in end as he fed better once i changed his flow and teat x

34 weeks pregnant. Team blue!

Torino did they say anything about pyloric stenosis?
Some babies just cant handle big quantities of milk at once so they need much smaller and more frequent meals. Vomiting after you burp her can be totally unrelated to everything as it happens to lots of babies when they change position.
As about spoiling her I suppose depends how you look at it. A baby that is crying a lot is held a lot more and when you leave her down she misses the closeness. I don't see it as spoiling but as fulfilling of basic needs ifykwim.
She needs to be safe and feel better and she cries for that.
Now testing for other things.... It's a shame if they just assume that nth is wrong with her and sent her home :(
For whatever reason Pediatricians they don't like taking action, testing or giving meds to a small baby that gains weight well and meets all the developmental stages :( as lots of reflux, pyloric stenosis, colics whatever just resolve by themselves as baby grows.
I suppose they only reason for them just now to interfere with sth is to repeatedly tell them that you are not coping at all like that. :(
I am curious to see what plan they are thinking for but I have a feeling that the plan will be sth like 15 min max feeding then relaxing playing time then nap then 3 h later repeat...
I have no idea exactly how the health system is there but can you afford or is there such a possibility for a private pediatrician?
I really hope they come with sth better than a clingy baby as even if that was true it Dosent really help anyone now does it??
About her eyes, I think you have to wait just a tiny little for that to be properly evaluated as lots of babies don't focus yet at this age.
Thinking of you and baby tilly :hug:

I have some baby gaviscon if you want me to post it to you x

I got it off my sister because my son would scream blue murder all the time and wouldn't feed properly but i didn't use it in end as he fed better once i changed his flow and teat x

34 weeks pregnant. Team blue!

This is kind of you hun but I have some at home. I just didn't have any here and as she was already prescribed it I didn't think it would be a problem she have it. I was wrong! :(

I have no words to help you Tor, I just want to say I'm sorry you are going through this and sending you massive hugs.

Thinking of you and baby xx

Awwwwww Tor! This is dreadful! What a load of bollocks they're talking! When Ariel was around 5 weeks he begn throwing up after one feed a day but that was because he was a greedy chops. Basically he was eating loads and was throwing up what his stomach couldn't hold - hence why babies can't overfeed. However this was only one feed a day or less, he never ever cried with it and I could happily lay him down flat. This does not sound at all like what Tilly is doing. Also you CAN NOT spoil
a baby. I pick up Ariel whenever he fusses. I carry him round in a sling when he's asleep during the day. I let him feed whenever he thinks he's hungry. I hold him for him to go to sleep and after all this he loves being put down when he's awake, can self soothe without me having to try and never really cries. If their theory was true, I would have the most over fed, crying, needy baby ever! They sound very old fashioned in their views hon - you are an amazing mum and Tilly's paddies are not because of anything you've done it's because she's uncomfortable because of something like reflux. I'm do sorry hon, I really hope they listen to you soon x

Torino did they say anything about pyloric stenosis?
Some babies just cant handle big quantities of milk at once so they need much smaller and more frequent meals. Vomiting after you burp her can be totally unrelated to everything as it happens to lots of babies when they change position.
As about spoiling her I suppose depends how you look at it. A baby that is crying a lot is held a lot more and when you leave her down she misses the closeness. I don't see it as spoiling but as fulfilling of basic needs ifykwim.
She needs to be safe and feel better and she cries for that.
Now testing for other things.... It's a shame if they just assume that nth is wrong with her and sent her home :(
For whatever reason Pediatricians they don't like taking action, testing or giving meds to a small baby that gains weight well and meets all the developmental stages :( as lots of reflux, pyloric stenosis, colics whatever just resolve by themselves as baby grows.
I suppose they only reason for them just now to interfere with sth is to repeatedly tell them that you are not coping at all like that. :(
I am curious to see what plan they are thinking for but I have a feeling that the plan will be sth like 15 min max feeding then relaxing playing time then nap then 3 h later repeat...
I have no idea exactly how the health system is there but can you afford or is there such a possibility for a private pediatrician?
I really hope they come with sth better than a clingy baby as even if that was true it Dosent really help anyone now does it??
About her eyes, I think you have to wait just a tiny little for that to be properly evaluated as lots of babies don't focus yet at this age.
Thinking of you and baby tilly :hug:

Thank you for this sweetheart.

I'm a bit bemused by the whole thing now tbh.

1 doctor thought there was something wrong enough to send us here. The junior doctor and registrar thought she had cows milk intolerance and reflux. Then the consultant doesn't think she has anything wrong and I just feed her too much and pick her up too often.

Pyloric stenosis has not been mentioned no. We have another doctor coming to see us soon so we'll see what he has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back