Sling question..

ninjawomble

Reaction score
Im going to buy one as OH really wants to carry bubs in a sling, I just have a question.

I suffer usually from back problems, sciatica mainly.
Is the sling going to exacerbate this if I wear baby? Do you find it tough on your backs? Or is it very supportive?

Its just a thought as Id love to wear bubba, but obviously will avoid it if you dont recommend it.

I've had a few back problems since the birth and was using a commercial carrier. It was fine while my daughter was small but dreadful recently since she is well over double her birth weight. I've since got a mei tai and woven wrap and think they're both fantastic though I've never used either with a newborn. Her weight is distributed evenly with these and doesn't hang on my shoulders like it did with the other carrier. With the mei tai I've been for long walks and not had a problem at all.

I have SPD (even when not pregnant), problems with my left shoulder/collarbone area and sacroilitus. So basically a really bad back (from lots of intense gymnastics). I have the Close baby carrier and a 13 pound baby, and I am very comfortable with it. Sometimes my lower back hurts, but no worse than without it. In fact, maybe it's better with it, because I'm more aware of my posture!

Most slings are designed well to avoid back problems. I wear my Mei Tai (courtesy of Maria1976) around the house with Miss Evie and my back's fine :D x

The one I had for my first son killed my back even when he was like 8lbs or something! :? Thankfully they make them a lot better now (this was 9 years ago after all lol) Im sure you will be fine! And if not, OH can make the most of it so you dont feel you wasted money!! :cheer:

Wraps and slings are supposed to support the baby better than the carriers that you get.

I have a Mei Tai and have no problems with it. I have a wrap sling too and used it after I was in a car crash with no major problems

We tried one of the commercial ones and it was the worst £50 ever spent! Killed my back and neck. I made up some pouch slings and they are much better - dead easy to make (I had never follwed a pattern before) and made 2 made to measure for £10 of fabric. PM me if you want to the link to the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back