Sweeps????

katietateypot

Reaction score
I am booked in for a sweep on the 20th July, a week before bubs is due.

I am just wondering what i can do, if anything; to make sure they can go through with it as i've been told sometimes they say its too early to even try to give one :eh:

Also, what actually happens and who does it???

I've heard they can hurt, is this more common than not? im not expecting it to be simple really but would like to know what sort of thing to expect before getting there if anyone can help? :)

katie xx

mmm good question would like to know my self. so will be watching the post

Katie I have no idea either, I am just so jealous you are getting a sweep a week before you're due! My midwives don't do sweeps until 41 weeks, so I'm getting mine tomorrow!! One of the midwifes is doing mine, I can only imagine it's a bit like a cervical smear?

Last edited:
never had anything done down there :roll:

It because ive moaned about Ava pushing into my scar so the consultant has said she will start sweeps early. They were going to do one at 38 weeks but no clinic apparently as im always seen on a Tuesday so had to wait until 39 weeks :)

never had anything done down there :roll:

It because ive moaned about Ava pushing into my scar so the consultant has said she will start sweeps early. They were going to do one at 38 weeks but no clinic apparently as im always seen on a Tuesday so had to wait until 39 weeks :)

neither had i until thurs had to have an internal :shock::shock::shock:. was dreading it but wasnt as embarassing as i thought. rather uncomfy but spose it going 2 b

I had a sweep with Jacob and can only describe it as uncomfortable. Big like stretching deep inside :shock:

I think it feels like a vigorous smear test. Not so much painful, but just uncomfortable.

Round here, they won't do it til 40 + 10 as this is supposed to be proven to be the most effective time to try it. I have had several with each baby and co-incidentally, when I had one at 40 + 10 with my 2nd she came that night lol.

I think if the baby is ready then a sweep is likely to work. With this one, i had loads of sweeps and nothing, but he was 2 and a half weeks early when my waters broke so was being stubborn :)

Well I had an internal this morning but no sweep unfortunately as my cervix isn't ready at all :cry: The midwife had me doing relaxing breathing just to make sure I wasn't tensing up down there and I have to say it was more uncomfortable for the fact that I had a lady with her fingers up my foof more than anything. I'm sure an actual sweep would have been a bit more intrusive!

I am booked in for a sweep on the 20th July, a week before bubs is due.

I am just wondering what i can do, if anything; to make sure they can go through with it as i've been told sometimes they say its too early to even try to give one :eh:

Also, what actually happens and who does it???

I've heard they can hurt, is this more common than not? im not expecting it to be simple really but would like to know what sort of thing to expect before getting there if anyone can help? :)

katie xx

Wether they can do it or not depends on your cervix and if it's starting to efase. I had one at 40+4 and I was partly efased so my midwife could do it. They put their finger right up your foof and literally sweep around your cervix to try and get things going. My first one didn't do alot. It did make my plug go the day after but that's all! I had another at 40+10 and went into labour in the early hours of the next morning. I think the later you have ot the more effective it is. It is a really uncomfortable thing to have done but if it works its so worth it! Hope that helps a little xxx

Thank you very much for the replies, very helpful!! :)

I am just wondering why on earth they are looking at giving me one at 39 weeks if they arn't really worth oing until after 40 weeks. I know if baby isnt ready then it wont work but if the success rate is 40+10 then i am sure 39 weeks is just a waste!
hmmmm may have to ask if they're just trying to keep me quiet here! :eh:

Im having my first sweep on the 22nd July so Ill be 40+1 and the midwife has already said I can have one on the 29th July as well, so Ill be 40+8 if the first doesn't do anything. Ill be booked in for induction before they can do another so wont get the chance to get one at 40+10.

My midwife is pretty easy going so just offers sweeps as soon as you hit 40 weeks :) Ive never had an internal or anything like that before so Im a little nervous but anything that might help get baby out!!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back