The General Election

Tonks

Reaction score
Who are you voting for? (Anonymous poll) ;)

good idea! I really couldnt decide. I watched the debate last night and was surprised by how well the lib dems came off, hadnt really considered them. Did anyone notice nick clegg was the only one who could do up a tie properly!! Dont think I should base my vote on the ties though!

Last edited:
I am totally undecided at the moment. I don't like Gordon Brown and I'm not sure about David Cameron either (reminds me of a Tony Blair type - all talk). I did think that Nick Clegg did really well last night in the debate, I was very surprised but I think he had the best ideas so maybe Lib Dems will get my vote this year (shame they want to get rid of the child trust fund though, one good thing Labour did do)!

I think Gordon Brown came off worst last night. Nick Clegg seemed good, but I'm unsure about him. The Lib Dems have no track record, and it does just seem like all talk. I supported them in the last election, but could they ever get elected? At the minute I'm leaning towards Conservative. David Cameron came across well last night, and he has a good Defence Manifesto. (I'm only half way through the Lib Dem manifesto though)

There is no way Labour are getting my vote though. No after what they've done to the Armed Forces. Things like getting rid of military hospitals, so when we went to Afghan and Iraq and people were coming home needing serious help, they'd get off a plane and go to a NHS hospital on a ward. How are they supposed to cope with being on a normal ward? However they did have one place left, but the government wouldn't put more funding into it, so when soldiers needed things like physio or hydrotherapy there was nothing available to them and they went on an NHS waiting list. So a charity was set up and it's the public who pay for all this now through donations. They got equipment put in, the got a pool built, etc.

Things like not having enough armour to go round so guys were going out just in shirts.

Recycling old Landrovers from Northern Ireland, rather than fitting correct safety equipment to them. So landrovers that were made to withstand petrol bombs were taken out to the middle east and supposed to withstand IED and rocket attacks. A lot of people lost their lives.

It just really angers me. If you're going to commit to a war, then commit to it properly and don't let people die through negligence.

absolutely, you would think, in making a decision about going to war, one of the main considerations would be "can we afford to do this properly and see it through?"

It seems like trying to remove a wasps nest without wearing protective clothing, and then being surprised that you got stung...a lot!

I'm going for the Lib Dems - I thought Nick Clegg presented himself really well :)

Although the Conservatives DO deserve some credit for those posters they wheeled past Labour HQ though of Mr Brown! Hahahahaaa, legendary! :rotfl:

I worry about the Lib Dems coming off best just because they've no track record so noones got any beef with them. They can promise anything they like, but the other 2 have to defend the decisions of the past too. Current leader always comes off worst in these debates because nothings hypothetical, they cant say we'll do x cos everyone will just say "why havent you done it then?!"

Wish someone would be straight with us about this deficit and how long we are looking at for repaying it and getting financially back on our feet. I think if people knew the truth they'd be happier to see some sensible cuts made in areas where they can afford to be made.

Totally agree. Labour will never get my vote (and never have). My parents were in the army back in the day when we had a decent one. I think it's awful that Gordon Brown has cut back on something that is so vital and it was Labour that took our troops to war over there. The more I read about it the more angry it makes me, they should support our armed forces not cut back vital supplies and cut corners when peoples lives are involved.

Lib Dems not having a proven track record is what is stopping me making my mind up. I have always voted Conservative but after last nights debate I am really thinking about the Lib Dems. I've got alot of reading to do as I don't know much about their policies in general. It will be one or the other for me and one thing is for sure it'll never be Labour (hope I haven't offended anybody it's just my opinion) :)

In my area Labour have a very stong and consistent hold. There is still a lot of anger about what the conservatives did the the welsh economy through the coal mines and the valleys area, which was born out of the mining industry remains an area of very high unemployment and poverty. I know that there is no way a conservative seat would even be won in this consituency. For the first time I actually think that Labour might not win here. last election Plaid Cymru was 2nd, so I suppose there is a real chance they could get the seat, either that or lib dem cos a lot of people really want a shake up of things, Im just nervous that we'd be taking a big risk. Just started downloading manifestos. I dont wanna vote until Ive read them!!

Just read the Lib Dems manifesto, and IMO the Defence section is totally unrealistic so they won't be getting my vote.

dont know much about SNP (never actually been to scotland so not really surprising!) noticed that its in with BNPon the vote. Do they have similar imigration policies?

dont know much about SNP (never actually been to scotland so not really surprising!) noticed that its in with BNPon the vote. Do they have similar imigration policies?

I'm not sure, I haven't read over their manifesto but all the bumpf I'm getting through the door is about Scottish independence and where I live in the Highlands they are very gung-ho for this idea. Even the leaflets from other parties talk about Scottish Independence and how a united Britain is better, and it's such an issue here.

Personally, I can't think of anything worse than an independent Scotland!

Personally I'm unsure but my OH is voting lib dem, how are they supposed to get a track record if they don't get a chance to establish one? I will NOT be voting labour x where I used to live the lib dems were the local gov and they did change quite alot in the area so I'm leaning that way x

My oh just told me he's voting lib dem

I'll be forcing my parents to vote for the conservatives. Purely for their pro-military strategies and extra support they are proposing for our troops. It's disgusting how they are treated and the lack of equipment and aftercare they are provided with. Plus - they are planning a £5k bonus for serving troops - just an added perk :)

Whilst that's a very noble policy (and a great way to guarantee some votes!) - I believe our troops/families don't have anywhere near the amount of support they deserve - the thought of David Cameron becoming our next Prime Minister is enough to make me consider leaving the country!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back