The Pill- ending it

shootingstar22

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a further 6 months to go before I come off my current BC, which is needed to stop me from becomming pregnant before my wedding! I am due to see my GP on Wed to first see that I am ok to receive the next 6 months and to ask for advice etc.

Anyway my question is, has anyone here been on dianette?- forgive any spelling errors please! Those that don't know this one it is a combined pill that also helps bad skin. Believe it is given to a lot of people with pcos. It's a pretty good pill (one migrane so far but that's it) but it is known to cause liver disease with prolonged use- hence I will probably have to have a blood test to see if the livers ok (only been taking this one fir 6 months so far-mini pill doesn't work for my and microgynon gave me migranes and night sweats).

If you are or have taken it have you any idea what timescales are like in regards to coming off it? I keep Reading storys about women who have taken a year to get their period back or have just not been able to conceive. I try tolook at it all with an open mind but I am getting concerned that it may take a long time before we can even start to try to have a baby- body back to normal after bc.

Any thoughts would be welcome-ta!

I have no experience but I have heard a few people say that it takes longer than usual to get out of their system. Why dont you change BC? if it were me I'd stop now and use condoms for 6 months.

I too would stop and use barrier methods, gives body a chance to sort itself out then :)

Hiya,
I was on Dianette for PCOS symptoms. I had been on Microgynon for about 10 years, then persuaded my GP to try Dianette. They were only really bothered about my blood pressure rather than liver function as I think the liver is more of a long term concern (2-3 years+) but I asked to switch off becuase my mood swings were getting way out of control. I then moved on to Femodene which seemed to suit me really well, the hormone levels are much better for people with PCOS, my skin wasn't as great but I could live with that. After 4-5 months on Femodene I'd had a million conversations with my OH and decided I'd been on the pill of some sorts for the last 12 years so I had no idea if I even actually had an af of or anything. We weren't actively trying but not actively trying not to conceive (not sure that makes sense) but if it happened it happened! 2 months later I found out I am pregnant!!

Now I'm not sure how bad my PCOS actually is because I was diagnosed through hormone levels, no cysts found on scan. In a round about answer to your question, I suppose it only took us 6-7 months after coming off of Dianette (with other methods in between). I hope this helps! Fertility was a huge worry for me and OH but seems there was no need this time!!
I hope you get the right support from your GP!

Thanks for the responses!

Is it dangerous to get pregnant right after stopping the pill? I only ask as I have read that if you get pregnant in dianette and if you have a boy the development of male organs can be affected! Think this is due to the low progesterone?

I didnt take Dianette but have come off Microgynon twice to TTC and fell pg 3 cycles and 2 cycles after and after Cerezette I fell 1 cycle after.

Because dianette has an anti-androgen (anti-male hormones) in it, if you take it while you are pregnant you effectively are giving your baby hormone therapy too so the chances are if it is a boy then you are taking a medication that will reduce the male hormones required for his developement.
In terms of leaving a gap, I don't think it's absolutley necessary because the hormones you are taking leave your system fairly quickly, it might be the other effects on your body, and your own hormonal cycle that might take a while to regulate. I suppose it helps if you do have 1 proper cycle after stopping the pill cause it will help with dates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back