Urgent help!! From breast to bottle Problems

Moo

Reaction score
Help, My Little one has been breastfed for the first 9 weeks, she is now getting hungrier so we have attempted for the last 10 nights to give her a bottle for her last feed. Anyway Robyn ( my baby) is not having it! She pushes the bottle away and then cries for hours afterwards. We have tried the following but to no avail: Different teats, Different milk formulas, Different times of the day, We have tried giving her bottle after breast, mum out of the room and dad feeding, so that she dont see me. :rotfl: Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how do you win the battle?

Ewan was completely breast fed and when i tried bottles he would have none of it! he would refuse breast milk so we gave up on that, and tried with formula which we heated till quite warm, and changed teats - it the end it was just a case of persevereing.. i had to demand breast feed him just about every 2hrs but the evenings he fed almost everyhour thats when we tried with a bottle, i just had to force it in to his mouth and eventually he would take it, it wasd horrible and i'd end up in tears but once he toook a bottle i made sure i gave him a bottle once a day so he was familiar weith it.

Hi

Kiaras the same she will not take a bottle so no suggestions but good luck
Katrina

Hiya
Are you just trying formula because she is very hungry? She may be going through a growth spurt and it may settle down soon.

If you do want to get her bottle feeding, it is like Hypnorm says she will just need the practice.

What teats are you using, I have found the tommee tippe and MAM ones to be really good, as they are made to feel like a nipple.

There was a programme on Discovery H&H the other day on exactly this subject. It was The Baby Whisperer. Might be worth looking out to see if it's repeated. She recommended a certain type of bottle (wish I could remember the name) which closely mimics the flow of milk from the breast. It seemed to do the trick. Maybe have a look for the baby whisperer website. There might be more details on there?
Good luck! Lucyx

Hi

My daughter Olivia only started taking a bottle at 6 months, before that she just refused (but I just gave in, didn't push her to take it). I tried so many bottles and teat combinations with expressed milk/formula etc but in the end she took the ones Urchin is suggesting - Tommee Tippee Nuby Teats (I use these with avent bottles when I'm leaving Olivia with someone).

The bottle Lucybee is referring to is the Haberman feeder: http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/reviews/product.asp?id=71 I didn't try that one but I did buy a "breastfeeder" http://www.adiri.com/products_html/nurser.asp

Would you consider offering her the bottle in her bouncy chair or somewhere other than in your arms? I think it was Urchin that suggested this to me when I was trying to get Olivia to take a bottle

Lucy

Lucy said:
Hi

My daughter Olivia only started taking a bottle at 6 months, before that she just refused (but I just gave in, didn't push her to take it). I tried so many bottles and teat combinations with expressed milk/formula etc but in the end she took the ones Urchin is suggesting - Tommee Tippee Nuby Teats (I use these with avent bottles when I'm leaving Olivia with someone).

The bottle Lucybee is referring to is the Haberman feeder: http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/reviews/product.asp?id=71 I didn't try that one but I did buy a "breastfeeder" http://www.adiri.com/products_html/nurser.asp

Would you consider offering her the bottle in her bouncy chair or somewhere other than in your arms? I think it was Urchin that suggested this to me when I was trying to get Olivia to take a bottle

Lucy

I'm so glad she's finally taking a bottle. :cheer:

LOL Urchin - me too!! She's quite hit and miss with it but we always give her one bottle a night to keep her used to them so that when I need to go somewhere alone/night out etc I know she will get a drink if she needs one!

Thanks for all those tips Urchin :hug:

Lucy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back