We nearly put our dog down for no reason! :-(

Amanda

Reaction score
I can't believe how close we came to doing this awful thing, and I'm crying sitting here typing this. :cry: We have a 6 year old aslation cross, and he is soft as s**t and part of the family. This is what happened on Friday - sorry it's long, but I need to tell the whole story.

Kayleigh took him for a walk when she got home from school on Friday, and about 10 minutes after she had left the flat, I heard screaming and shouting from outside. I looked and Kayleigh was trying to get into the front door with Carling (the dog), and there was a woman, a bloke and 2 teenage girls with her, and the woman was screaming at Kayleigh. Kayleigh was in tears! So I immediately ran outside to ask what was happening, and the woman started screaming at me that Carling had attacked her dog! :shock:

Kayleigh was unconsolable, so I quickly sent her in to keep an eye on Charlie who was fast asleep in his cradle. The bloke was holding a very very tiny black dog, it was smaller than a tiny cat. The woman then screamed at me that Carling had taken hold of her dog in his mouth and tossed him 6 feet into the air. I came in to ask Kayleigh and she said she was looking the other way when it happened as she was talking to friends so didn't see anything. The woman said that he needed a muzzle, and that he shouldn't be walked by someone who couldn't control him. She kept screaming that she was 6 months pregnant and kept repeating about the poor little baby that was killed by the rottwielers near here a few weeks ago. I managed to get one sentence in that I had a 6 week old baby, so understood why she was so upset, then she started screaming that I was a bad mother to even consider keeping a viscous dog around a baby! I was crying and shaking by now, as I was being verbally attacked and she wouldn't listen to any apology, or any reason.

She said she was taking her dog to the vets and we would have to pay the bill, which I instantly agreed to. I came back inside to write down my name, address and phone number, and also to phone DH as he had popped for a beer after work. He ran home as he was only down the road, and managed to diffuse the situation and they eventually left.

We came inside and I told DH that Carling had to go. I said that we couldn't take the chance that he would do the same to Charlie, and we needed to get rid of him. Carling is DH's dog, and he was distrought. He understood, but said he needed to weekend to say goodbye properly and he would take him to the RSPCA on Monday. :cry:

Friday was a horrible evening, and we were all crying. :cry:

This all changed on Saturday though. My friend just happened to be the other side of the road when this happened, and called on Saturday morning to find out if Kayleigh was okay. This is the real story.....

Kayleigh was walking Carling and saw some friends so stopped to say hello. She had Carling on the lead next to her. This other family walked by, and Carling noticed the dog. He went to sniff it to say hello, as dogs do. The little dog turned round and nipped Carling on the end of his nose. So Carling pulled his head up and back straight away, but had his nose underneath the tiny dog, so lifted him off the ground about 12 inches! :shock: Never at any time did Carling even open his mouth, never mind biting the other dog. My friend then said that this woman went balistic immediately and started shouting and swearing at Kayleigh. She asked for Kayleigh's address, but she said that we had only just moved, and she knew the street, but not the number. This woman started calling her a liar and telling her off for answering back! My friend couldn't get across the road quick enough to help out, but then she saw Kayleigh head back home with them in tow, so figured we would sort it out. We then checked Carling, and he has distinct bite marks on the right side of his nose! We've rang the local vet and nobody brought a little dog in over the weekend! They haven't rang asking us to pay the bill, and I saw them walk past the flat yesterday afternoon, and the dog seems fine!

I would never ever take a chance with having a dog that may turn nasty in the house with a baby, so would rather have given Carling to a home with no kids, or even had him put down. :cry: I can't believe we nearly did this awful thing, or that I doubted him. Carling is one of the softest dogs I have ever known, and he was only trying to be friendly with this other dog.

It's that bloody woman that need a muzzle!!! :shock:

That's horrible! :shock: Poor Carling, hope he gets loads of tlc and treats now bless him. That would of been tragic :cry: :hug:

omg i cant beileve the friggin audasity of some people!!! If they call asking for money for a so called vets bill, dont let on you know the truth, just say ok thats fine, and then call the police straight away! :shock:

That is disgusting i bet you were all distraught :( Good job you found out the truth at least :)

hope you are all ok now
cas xx

cant believe some people i tell you, and to speak to your daughter like that too :x , i was gonna say sounds like the woman needs a muzzle more than any dog!
Hope carling is ok :hug: and ur poor daughter!
xx

oh how horrid for all of you - but esp poor kayleigh - hope she is ok now.

thank god your friend saw what happened.

big hugs to you all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can't believe that these sort of people call themselves dog lovers-how is lying and screaming going to sort anything out - so glad you know the real story,hope everything is okay :hug:

even if your dog had biten hers that does not excuse a grown women from shouting at a young girl like that it's just discusting.

i'm glad you found out the truth before it was to late, and if this woman does call you tell her to get the vet to send you a bill and say you'll pay them directly, or even better ask her if her insurance policy covers it (which it should) and if she says she doesn't have any it'll be your turn to give her an ear bashing, cause she'd obviously be trying to scam you.

xSuzx

That woman is disgraceful! I hope Kayleigh and Carling are okie.
I'm so glad your friend came over :hug:

You so should have words with that woman! its completly out of order the way she treated you. Her dog should wear the bloody muzzle!

oh hun that is horrible and the fact that they put kayleigh thro that wen ur dog or her did nothing wrong the poor girl

I own a bullmastiff who is currently 12 stone and growing... I am constantly having people tell me that I shouldn't have such a big dog as they can be viscous...... in my experience it is little dogs who are viscous and owners of little dogs cannot, (or more to the point will not) handle them.

As big dog owners we constantly have our boy on a lead and do our best to ensure that he is well behaved.... however on numerous occassions small dogs ( jack russels etc) run up to us when we are on walks and start to bark at us... wht do people think that because their dogs are small they can't do any damage??? Our most used command is Leave.. if a small dog comes near mine I shout Leave and my dog ignores the other dog.. if the owner is around I tell them to call their dog.. if they don't and their dog is persistantly attacking mine it will get a kick from me!

All dog owners should control their dogs.... I am so glad that you found out the truth it would have been such a shame for your dog if you hadn't.. I would take a photo of your dogs nose and get everything written down, then if this woman does get in touch I would give her a piece of my mind and tell her she should have her dog put to sleep! See how she likes it!!!!!!!!

Lyndsey

Oh God poor you. How awful for Kayleigh, a young girl shouldn't be subjected to that sort of behaviour. That stupid woman needs to be put down.
Glad you found out what really happened in the end. :hug:

You poor guys, how awful...

I am so glad Carling is still with you, and he is getting lots of TLC.

We had a nasty experience when Tilly was a tiny puppy......she ran over to a boy on the beach coz he kicked a football towards her, and the boy started screaming that Tilly had bitten him :shock: .....She hadnt even touched him...The boys father was screaming at us, saying he was going to ring Tillys neck and telling his son to kick her!!! She was about 12 weeks old and a bundle of fluff...not a vicious dog he was making hr out to be. I was shaking and upset for a few days afterwards

Sending you all big cuddlesxxxx

Cat&Noah said:
You so should have words with that woman! its completly out of order the way she treated you. Her dog should wear the bloody muzzle!

Deffo!! - fart arsed little dog that caused the trouble, they are the worst!

Hope K is ok, and feels confident to walk the dog again, hope you see the woman and that you can say u have a witness that saw her dog bit yours!

thankfully you didnt have him put down straight away. give him a :hug: from me.

Thats terrible! Some people have a right nerve don;t they :evil:

Hope Kayleigh, Carling and the rest of you are doing ok - so glad your friend told you the truth before the worst had happened :hug:

Aw Tankett.

Glad you got to the truth in time. What a total nightmare. :hug:

We had a Bullmastiff too and we were always getting people having ago at us over him and he never did a thing. One man came after OH with a brick cos our dog sniffed him! :shock: Daft thing is if he had actully hit OH the dog would of pinned him down straight away. Some people just haven't a clue. Thank god you never had him put down!

Thanks everyone :hug:

Carling seems okay now, thank God, and I have taken a photo of his nose in case anything else happens. Kayleigh was a bit worried about walking him yesterday, so I went and bought a harness that goes around his legs so she feels more in control. Don't get me wrong, he is trained and will walk on a lead, but he is that friendly to other dogs that if he wants to say hello, Kayleigh may actually struggle holding him on the lead. Now he is on the harness, she feels she can stop him easier.

I fully agree what you are all saying about little dogs owners feeling their dogs don't need to be on leads. My SIL had her hand bitten very badly by a terrier a couple of months ago, so we know only too well how viscous these little things can be, and how bad a bite can be.

Well, it's now Tuesday, and we've still not heard anything about a vets bill! :think:

Take carling to the vet and ask for some soothing cream for his nose...then send her the bill :)

Glad kayleigh feels happier with the harness, such a shame she should feel worried now though cause of that stupid bint!!!! :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back