What's the best type of sling for me?

*Star*

Reaction score
I really want to carry baby in a sling when she is here.
I already have a sling, it's very similar to this one

d2ba_1.JPG

but for me it's horrible to wear, it hurts my shoulders/back if i wear it too long and i loose baby inside it when i wear it.

i don't like the look of the front carrying sling, where there is a big bit between the baby's legs, it looks uncomfortable to me.

i would like one that holds baby tight to me but snug, you can see her head and has good support for me.

please help!!

*Star* said:
i don't like the look of the front carrying sling, where there is a big bit between the baby's legs, it looks uncomfortable to me.

i would like one that holds baby tight to me but snug, you can see her head and has good support for me.

please help!!

it might look uncomfortable but it is the best thing for their hips. Ypou should preferably avoid those carriers and holds that mean baby has a little bit of material between their legs as it puts all their weight on their pelvis.

There are all sorts of slings, pouch slings, ring slings, soft carriers, wraps. I personally find that I use different slings for different times and like all mine for different reasons.

From your description a wrap sounds the best, they are the most versitile as you can do all sorts of different carries, is incredibly supportive and I find that I can put Cally in one type of hold when she wants to look out but then when she has had enough I just adjust it a bit and she can go to sleep. However wraps can seem a bit scary at forst biut a little bit of practice and you'll get the hang of it.

are the wraps the slings that are just one continuous piece of fabric?

they do look tricky to tie, but i guess as with anything, practice makes perfect.

yep thats the ones. I love mine as does Cally :)

take a look at i want a baby sling thread just a little further down.. the slings in my shop that i make have instructions with them.. and ive made a little video to show midna how they go on :oops: i look a complete state but it might be usefull to imagine how it works.

If you have a look at how baby's legs are when you are holding her you'll see they are in the position that slings with a big bit between the legs hold her. They naturally have their legs up and these carriers make sure that the knees are not lower than the hips so the weight is spread out. I look at it like a comfy seat that supports thighs and bum rather than something skinny and uncomfortable to sit on like a fence. Does that make sense?

I have lots of different carriers. I think wraps are fantastic and I love the look of them. If I want to use something that is supportive and quick to put on and off without the risk of trailing ends (I'm still new to wrapping you see so I prefer to do it in front of a mirror) I use one of my connectas as they are so simple to put on and adjust - it takes seconds: www.connecta.com They are so good I got 2 - one in aubergine cord, which is so soft and gorgeous, and one that is black with butterflies. They fasten with buckles and you get a strap to pull the bottom together for smaller babies.

Have a look at www.thebabywearer.com for lots of help and advice on all sorts of carriers.

Good carriers (e.g, NOT baby bjorn and other such ones you are likely to find in shops but ones better designed for baby) hold their value really well second hand so you can sell on whatever carrier you chose if you don't like it. If you buy second hand, don't like it and sell it on you will only have lost the postage price :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back