Where am I going wrong - baby wearing

Magic Monkey

Reaction score
I have just received my ring sling from Charlie84 - Thank you x But I can't get the hang of it, I can get LO into it ok and I tighten it right, then she moves and it goes all loose again, plus I don't seem to be able to get enough material under her bum so she feels like she is going to slip out. And it rubs my neck!

I have followed the instructions on the DVD, but I still can't get it right!

In what way does she move? It sounds like you are saying the fabric is slipping through the rings. That should not happen and if it is you should get in touch with the maker.

To stop the rubbing on your neck make sure you spread the fabric out on your shoulder. You should have at least a 3rd of the width of the fabric under her bum (it sounds like you are doing tummy to tummy or hip carry so my advice is based on this, I've never done cradle hold, DD doesn't like it). Actually it's not just tucked under her bum, it's under her bum and down as far as her knees with her knees level to or higher than her hips so she's sat down securely. I put DD in with most the fabric under her bum and down to her knees and tug it up until it is up to her arm pits. So most the fabric is between her knee pits and bum, the fabric is smooth on her back and goes up to her arm pits.

If she can lean back you need to tighten the rail that goes round her back. If she's too low you need to tighten the rail that is by her knees.

I had a look in previous posts and found it is a freedom ring sling. I've looked on baby wearing forums and I haven't found anyone saying anything positive about them though I have found a few negative comments :( Mostly these are people who also own more expensive makes of ring slings which are far more comfortable though but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to get yours comfy, just that it won't be comfortable if you wear it for hours. These are the threads I've found that I think will be the most help for you (because to be honest, although I do have a ring sling I much prefer wraps and have a short wrap to tie when I want a ring sling type carry)

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/show ... ht=freedom
http://zolowear.com/Wearing.aspx

kalia said:
I had a look in previous posts and found it is a freedom ring sling. I've looked on baby wearing forums and I haven't found anyone saying anything positive about them though I have found a few negative comments :(

Ah, great. I've just bought one second hand from another member! Thanks for the links.

NickyB said:
kalia said:
I had a look in previous posts and found it is a freedom ring sling. I've looked on baby wearing forums and I haven't found anyone saying anything positive about them though I have found a few negative comments :(

Ah, great. I've just bought one second hand from another member! Thanks for the links.

i'll say something positive about them :) :) i use mine lots now connor is older - its great for hip carries and i don't have any problems with it

purple13 said:
i'll say something positive about them :) :) i use mine lots now connor is older - its great for hip carries and i don't have any problems with it

Yay :dance: :cheer: :dance:

I tried again last night with OH's help and it was much better. I did the hip carry and she looked much more comfortable. It wasn't rubbing my neck either. The problem is though that I have weak shoulders so my shoulder ached really quickly - but nowhere near as bad as when I tried to use the baby bjorn (sp) carrier.

Thanks for your help xx

If you have shoulder problems you'd be best with a carrier that transfers the weight to your hips. Nothing beats the comfort of wrapping with a woven wrap but if you don't like that idea either a mei tei or a soft structured carrier like a Connecta would be best. A soft structured carrier would be like your bjornn in a way but supportive and comfortable. These carriers would cost more but reducing your pain may be worth it, especially as baby gets older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back