Why do ovulation kits show negative?

LaurenC

Reaction score
My husband and I are trying to conceive so I have bought a digital ovulation kit. According to my cycle I should ovulate tomorrow but I have been testing using the kit and it shows a negative result. Is there any reason why this would be. My body temperature has dropped in the last two days. I have a very regular 27/28 day cycle so I know that I must ovulate as have regular periods. I am 33 years old.
Can anyone give me any advice. We have been trying to conceive for two years but only started using these kits last month to help improve our chances after failing to conceive before. :(

what day in your cycle are you on today hun?

Ok ( i am only a day in front we have the same cycle lengths ) i dont get lines until litrally the DAY i ov, same with digital opks, nothing until the actual day so dont worry and keep testing, i would try one before you go bed as your surge can just creep up on you, and try a couple tomorrow to make sure you catch it!

and get bonking lol

Thank you that's really helpful. I have bought an extra pack of kits so I can test tonight, in the morning and in the afternoon tomorrow and for the next day as well just in case!. How come it's so hard to conceive, when I was in my early twenties I only had to look at my husband and I was pregnant! lol

hah i have been trying for 3 years and the chnaces are so slim even if ''super fertile'' you have a 20% chance at the most when bedding at the right time ( a 36 hour window each month to catch your egg......thats it!! )

if you dont get your positive ( are you using the smiley face ones? ) tomorrow or day after, you MAY have missed it but i doubt it!

hope you get that egg x

Hi lauren,

Firstly i see your a newbie so welcome! :wave:

Which ovulation kit did you buy? Have you been testing right from your period leaving? If not then next cycle try testing from af leaving, you might be ovulating early. Unfortunately we dont always ovulate when we expect to. If you have a 28 cycle you would expect to ov sometime between cycle day 12 upto 18! And even if you have regular cycles you may not ovulate on the same day each cycle, which is why a good opk is a god send!

If you ovulate past the cd18 and still only have a 28 day cycle then you would need to see your gp and it would leave you with a short luteal phase, which could cause a problem.

Also its not uncommon for a woman not to ovulate each month. This month could be one of your months, its a pain in the bum!

Because i use so many opks i have bought some cheapies of the internet and i back it up with a clearblue digi when i think its positive. x

These are the cheapies http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-OVULAT...t=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item20b98244a4

Hope some of this info helps,

Good luck x x x

Well we have been trying since February 2010, so it's over two years now. It definitely is driving me crackers though, every month I am counting and working out dates and then I convince myself i've conceived only to get my period. It's hard work!! I am using the smiley face digital ones as well as regular test kits from Tesco! not used the smiley face ones before but am spending a fortune on them as well as buying conception vitamins and stopped drinking, which I liked a lot! Ha ha. We have tried having sex every day since my period ended as well as saving it up for the most fertile week and neither has worked! So then I convince myself I have some infection which has made me infertile, which is highly unlikely and it's just me driving myself crazy! lol

Have you tried SMEP and conceive plus? I heard really good reviews of the conceive plus, a few ladies on here got there bfp after using it, I'm giving it ago this cycle. Fingers crossed lol x x xx

Thank you so much for your comments ladies, i'm glad that it's not just me who is in this situation. I have not tried SMEP or conceive plus, are these vitamins? x

No SMEP stands for sperm meets egg plan. It basically involves lots of sex, you have sex round about cd 8 then everyother day til you get your positive, then when you have your positive you have sex for 3 days in a row miss a day then have sex again for good look! So it would be 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18. Swap and change the 3 days to suit your ovulation day. And conceive plus is a lube, you can buy it from boots. It helps the little swimmers along, gives thema good enviroment to swim in x x

Last edited:
That's brilliant, thank you. I'm off to boots on my lunch hour so will pick some of this up! And will definitely try the SMEP method as well next month as it's a little late to start it this month!

Every little helps, right! LOL xx

Oh and ive just noticed you start ttc the same time as me! I startedin feb 2010 after having my implanon taken out. Seems like a life time sometimes x

I know, it's hard. I went to see my GP and he basically said I have no chance of help from the NHS because of our area and the fact I have a 12 year old son already. We can't even have any diagnostics done to see if I have any issues that could be affecting fertility. So I guess we are on our own as we can not afford IVF privately, it's too expensive!.. You will have to keep me posted on how you get on and give me some tips if you discover any ground breaking miracles that could help! lol xx

you can have your 21 day bloods done sweety xx

Oh really, well I will go back to the doctors then and request that I get this done. Thank you! x

As lynette says request the blood tests, it will tell you if you are ovulating and it could be worth your partner getting a sperm test? Just to cover the basics. x

Also i have a son too he's 9 now, i have had some tests done tho, and everything seems ok with us. But i'm going threw more cd21 bloods to double check ovulation. I have however been told that as for iui or ivf i wouldn't be entitled. If the blood result show everything is ok, were gonna give it another year and if nothing happens were going to do the egg sharing scheme. Basically i have ivf done but instead of keeping all my eggs i share then with a less fortunate woman. In return i have the procedure done free and just have to pay for the drugs, which works out at about £500!! Suppose it depends on your views on egg sharing, but it doesnt bother me. Its win win in my eyes! lol x x

Yes I looked into this, and I would definitely consider it. They have quite strict rules though and at the moment, I don't fit into this because I have a bmi of 30 and I read somewhere that you have to have a bmi of 25. I am not overweight in my eyes, just really small with big 'knockers!' but because of this it shows I have a large bmi.! I will diet for a year then possible do the egg sharing thing too! lol xx

I have a high bmi too, and have also given myself a year to lose weight. I'm hoping losing the weight will help me conceive. I'm not unhealthy and according to my doctor i'm as fit as a fiddle, the bmi thing is a load of rubbish, but that doesnt help me when other clinics have such strict rules! I suppose a breast reduction is out the window for you?! :lol:

21 days bloods and a sperm test should be ok for you to have if they are being tight with everything else, tbh my area is same :roll: not really helping me too much unless i blag them!

they have made me wait 1 year after my mc for anything further to be run, even though i have NO kids and have been trying for 2 yrs previous to my mc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back