Why does my 6 & a 1/2 month baby not open his mouth 4 so

natalie1983

Reaction score
i have been trying to introduce solids to my baby for weeks now but he will not open his mouth for them or cries when i get some in his mouth. i have tried him with fruit puree's, baby rice, rusks, puddings, savouries. i dont understand why he's not interested. He has always been a 3 hourly fed baby so has 5 feeds a day but hardly ever finishes an 8 ounce bottle.
if anyones got any tips please let me know.

thanks

natalie

he is not underweight and still gaining weight. He has never been a hungry baby, I`m thinking maybe he`s just not ready for solids yet, but I thought he should be by 6 mths?

is he over hungry when you try him natalie?
sometimes they are so hungry for food the solid food is not quick enough for them and they get into a state!

try using a sippy cup with milk in it before a feed while hes sat in his feeding chair. this might take the edge off the hunger and he might take his solids more easily.

I think that 6 months is whay too old to start trying solids. but thats my personal opinion. I think babies get to a stage where thy need solids and if you go over that you introduce a host of eating problems.

If you continue having problems id contact your health visiotr although i don't think half of them know what they are on about. They are just like robots dictating from a text book.

personally I would not stress yourself out too much hun about how much baby is getting to eat. His milk will be giving him the nutrients he needs, weaning at this stage is just about introducing baby to new tastes and textures as opposed to any nutritional content. I would forget the purees and go onto finger foods, let him explore his food. The baby led weaning approach has been used by a few on this board and the beauty of it is is that it allows your baby to go at their own pace. Seren was really fussy about her solids for a while but then I realised it was because she didn't want the purees. When I started giving her finger foods (banana, rice cakes etc) she would chew on them and eventually began to swallow bits. She is a great eater now, has been eating normal food for ages without me having to mash it up and stuff. Next baby I won't even bother with the puree stage as I have had so much success with this approach. If you google basby led weaning you will find a whole host of info. There was also a thread on it ages ago
clicky
Good luck.

thanks for the replies. i tried him on some banana today, managed to get him to eat a little bit but still having to make him laugh or smile to get the food in his mouth. Also i tried him on some heinz biscuits, he had a bit of a suck and chew on that. suppose i have to keep trying different things.

:lol:

He'll be fine hun, i agree with Budge a few sips of milk first normally makes them a bit more agreeable, first couple of times i tried with Alfie thats how i had to do it and he loves his food now bless him and even grabs the spoon (mind you have only been doing it a few days but its working) It is an unusual texture for them too, different taste, method of feeding dont forget hes had six months of sucking from a bottle and now all of a sudden hes eating from a spoon which is a different feel in his mouth. Just persevere hun and hell soon love it and keep trying different things untill you find something he likes aswell Alfie wouldnt touch rucks or baby rice but loves the powdered food caulliflower and brocilli cheese and it smells really nice too, I have to take the bowl away after hes had a few spoons of it as he tries to get it :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back