4+ months Baby Rice

Redshoes

Reaction score
Isaac's just 12wks on saturday, but he's partially fed on hungrier baby formula, and breast, and so we're thinking of trying him on baby rice as soon as we are allowed, which I've read is 4 months.

Just wondered if anyone would recommend any certain brand? Should we get the same brand rice as the formula? How do you combine it with bottle/breast feeds? Any advice really appreciated :hug:

Hi Amy,
I bought the Hipp Organic baby rice. You can get it from most supermarkets or from Boots.
I mixed it with formula but you could use breast milk too. Just add a little to start off with and keep adding more until you get it to a runny consistency.
I think you start off with a tablespoon and build up from there.
Good luck! L x :hug:

hi hun, I used the cow and gate baby rice from when Oran was 12 weeks as he was on hungry baby and still waking a few times in the night for feeds the monkey, he was fine with it. I started of with a table spoon (not heaped) and mixed it with warm formula till I got the consistency I wanted, evry 3-4 days I just made it a tiny bit thicker, and added a bit more rice till he was 4 months and could be weaned properly!

you can do the rice with form/breast milk or warm water. What I did was start at his mid morning feed, so around 11am, give him the rice then let him take whatever milk he needed to fill up - usually was abut 3 more oz (he used to have 7-8 at that feed) then after a week I gave him it at the 11am and tea time feed (5-6pm) and again let him top up with milk. then gave him his normal bedtime milk and he pretty much slept from 8pm-5am without wanting a feed from then. The other thing you could do which I did on occasion is instead of giving it at tea time, get an old teat and pearce it with a squerand mix some in with his bedtime milk to make a thick constincey but so it still comes out the teat (trial an error, start off small and test and add lol) but you can only do this if not BF his bed time feed, this might fill him up for the night also.

hope this helped chicken

I wouldn't advise adding rice to milk in a bottle as this can be quite dangerous (can cause choking and there is a danger of it being inhaled into the lungs).

I think the brands are much of a muchness. Breastmilk added to rice does tend to make it runnier as bm breaks it down whilst it's in the bowl. So if you use that and wonder why it's getting runnier and runnier that's why :lol:

Kina said:
I wouldn't advise adding rice to milk in a bottle as this can be quite dangerous (can cause choking and there is a danger of it being inhaled into the lungs).

well I never had a problem, well suppose should say oran never had a problem, I advised the HV this is what I did sometimes and she said it was fine.

Thankyou for the replies :hug: Thanks Lucy, I do hope it goes well when we start as Isaac does love his feeding times hehe

Thankyou for your routine jennywren, that really helps a lot, and makes sense, we were thinking of C&G mainly because Isaac's fine with their formula. Some great experience and tips there, makes it all sound much simpler now than I first thought, and as I BF exclusively through the night and early morning I think like you say I'd maybe not do a late feed with rice :)

And Kina I'm sure I will discuss it with my HV first, I think hungrier babies may just cope better moving to rice earlier??

Redshoes said:
Thankyou for the replies :hug: Thanks Lucy, I do hope it goes well when we start as Isaac does love his feeding times hehe

Thankyou for your routine jennywren, that really helps a lot, and makes sense, we were thinking of C&G mainly because Isaac's fine with their formula. Some great experience and tips there, makes it all sound much simpler now than I first thought, and as I BF exclusively through the night and early morning I think like you say I'd maybe not do a late feed with rice :)

And Kina I'm sure I will discuss it with my HV first, I think hungrier babies may just cope better moving to rice earlier??

thats no problem chick. I must admit Oran was a lot more settled once on the rice, and even more so now he is on baby food.

just remember some HV are funny about weaning even before 6 months, mine are fine, and say to do what I thinks best,but my friends went mad with her when she said she had given her little girl baby food at 4 months. So perhaps see what they say and take it with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day hun, do whats right for you and your LO, there all diferent and there is not a universal way of right and wrong, its whats right anf wrong for you, at the end of the day, if you decide to try and and you think its upsetting his tummy, stop and try again a week or so later, it wont actually harm him.

good luck chick!

Thanks again jennywren, I agree, I wil do what Isaac's happy with. The HV wasn't keen on the hungrier baby formula, but after a week he was much happier and settled, it's wise to take advice and add Mummy's knowledge and experience :wink: Isaac's quite adaptable, he'll have avent or TT teats, he'll have his formula cold or warm, he'll have breast, as long as food comes out of it, he's a happy little man :D

Amy, I gave Tom his babyrice mixed with formula from a spoon and gave him the bottle seperately. Got him used to the idea of spoon feeding and worked well for us. x

Great advice Lucy, thankyou, will have fun using a spoon I'm sure :lol: :hug:

Kina, thanks for answering why rice turns runnier and runnier with BM...been wondering for days and getting really annoyed with it! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back