Dopplers-worth buying?

jsykes1975

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pregnant with baby number 4 and due 18.04.09.

I'm mum to Rachel(7), Craig(almost 5) and Emma, sadly delivered at 18 weeks after my GP could not detect a heartbeat.

Specifically as a result of this miscarriage in May, I am considering buying a doppler but having had a quick scan on Ebay, I'm so confused!!

They seem to range from £30-£80. How do I know a decent one from another?

Do I need gel?

Is a heartbeat easy to detect? Instructions easy to follow?

I don't want to become obsessive but as it's assumed Emma died a week prior to me finding out, I'm haunted with the fact that something awful could go wrong again and me not know.

I think a doppler would ease this anxiety.

Would appreciate any advice or experiences shared.

Julie xxxxxx

My DOH brought me a doppler for my birthday in July I think it cost about £30 (Angel sounds one) & came with a tube of gel & I have loads of gel still.

I am so glad he did as last week i hadnt felt any movements for a few days & didnt have a docs appointment fo 25 week check up till this week so put doppler on & there waas the heartbeat loud & clear :cheer:

In fact it was hilarious as baby decided to move so DOH had a crackle in his ear I started laughing belly going up & down causing more crackling in his ear & me more laughing hence moree crackling till he moved it off I cried with laughter so much & baby then moved so much as if to say yes I am still here!

Hi julie

I have the angel sounds doppler which i think is one of the better brands to get. But can i just say, that while i appreciate and understand your worries and concerns a doppler isnt neccessarily going to ease the anxiety.

The heartbeat can be very difficult to pick up and i think this can cause more worry than good. I am 13 wks + and still dont think i have found the heartbeat. I have found things that sound like a heartbeat, but not fast enough to be babies. ( i think it is possibly the placenta or my own pulse)

Dont mean to sound negative. And i think as long as you dont become obsessed with them, then there is no real harm

:hug: hun
xxx

Thanks girls for the tips!

Mummy-D-your comment of it being tricky is exactly what I'm afraid of so I'm glad you mentioned that!

Don't want to be running to the docs every other day like a total neurotic!!

With 2 recommendations for the angels brand, it makes my choice a bit easier if I take that route.

Julie xxxxxxxxx

I found babies heartbeat lower down than I thought I would at first whereas it hs moved upwards now so worth trying lower down to start :hug:

Julie here is a link to the one i have got.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MOD-ANGEL...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I was lucky enough to be able to buy it second hand from a pf member who was selling it on. you should maybe put a post up in the wanted section first.

lisa marie...i have tried everywhere from just above my pubic bone lol. I am overweight and also have a c-section scar so this might be what is making it harder to find.

Hi!!! :wave: :wave:
I got my Angel Sounds doppler from Ebay last week and i love it!!!! just look for the HB above your pubic area, i'm almost 14 weeks preg and I thought baby would be moving up but still down there!!!! it's amazing and i feel very happy everytime i hear it and if you are anxious it eases your mind!!!

Hi ya,

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I personally haven't got one. I have a fantastic midwife who lets me pop in and see her anytime I am worried, just for a chat and then a listen to heartbeat, I think if I had one of my own I woudl use it all the time and I woudl become obsessed.

Is your midwfie good?

Hi I also have a doppler and bought this one from ebay, liked the idea that the BPM were displayed rather than having to count:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FETAL-HEART-D...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It comes with the gel, and yes using gel makes a huge difference!

What I would say is I didnt buy or use mine until I was 16 weeks pregnant, and even then it took me over 3 hours to initially find the heartbeat, and I did panic until I eventually found it - so they can cause additional worry, albeit just the first time of using them for most people - however if you have a very active baby then you will find the heartbeat is never in the same place each time and can take some time to locate it!

I dont use it at all anymore as I have felt a lot of movement since about 21 weeks, which is more reassuring than listening to his heartbeat!

I really enjoyed using mine for the short time it was needed :D

I got an angelsounds doppler yesterday second hand mind you and its great we put it on last nite and there was the little heart beat it was very pleasing to hear ive to go to the hospital today for another scan and then i dont get another one until my 20 week so it will be handy if i want to listen to the heart beat then i can.

I have the Hi Bebe one and have found my little ones heart beat, i find it reassuring but i know that if one day i wasnt able to find it id go into panic mode!

I'm so glad I bought mine (angel sounds). First tried at 9 weeks and took a while - half hour? - to find heartbeat, but each time since, now I know where to listen, I find it no problem within a minute or so. It's very distinct cos it's so fast - about double your own speed - so you should know when you find it. I listen every few days and it's so reassuring.

You need gel - not all come with it, so check.

I bought mine off amazon, it was actually cheaper than ebay (£20 I think at the moment, with gel).

I bought the angelsounds doppler and 2 bottles of gel and it cost me £30 from Amazon. Its the best purchase I ever made because its really reassuring. I dont use mine as much now that I can feel baby kicking away but if I dont feel him for a while I use it just to make sure he is okay! I recommend them!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the tips and advice, all taken onboard!!

I guess now's the time I need it for extra reassurance.

Will let you know how I get on

Julie xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back