downs screening back...devastated

tallulah73

Reaction score
I had a call from the midwife this morning, i knew it wasn't good news as soon as she said who she was cos i was told i would only get a phone call if the test results were high risk....and they are....1/80 !!!!
I'm totally devastated. I could hardly talk for crying but told her i want the amnio so im booked in for 9am Tuesday.
OH was in bed as he's been working nights so i woke him up with the bad news and he hugged me while i cried for about 2 hrs (i look a state!)

I can't help feeling ive done something wrong! i don't understand why the result is so high risk. yeah im 34 but im fit and healthy 5ft 5in & 8st 9oz, no family history of any abnormalities not even any allergies. I already have 2 healthy children...it's a "WHY ME?" situation.

Sorry for such a depressing post.
Im gona stay away from the forum until next week, i feel like im in limbo now until i know everythings going to be OK.
I will let you all know how it goes.
x

:pray: I'm thinking of you and your family xxxx

:hug: FWIW my FIL and his wife had to go for an amnio after the results of the downs test came back high. Although the wait was agonising they now have a healthy 8 year old.

hey there

please try not to panic!

My friend had this a couple of weeks ago then had an amnio and all was fine.

I am sure i read that over 90% of babies classed as high risk are actually born fine!

Also my auntie was told her little girl was high risk and she is a bueatiful 5 year old healthy girl

I am not even going to opbther with these tests as they really are not conclusive.

be positive - am sure everything will be fine! Honest!

1/80 is still quite low odds, try not to get worked up about it.
my thoughts are with you :hug:

Hiya Tallulah

I'm sorry to read your bloods have come back high risk for Downs, pregnancies are worrysome enough without this added worry for you..(Hugs) but please don't panic, I have known women with results of 1:50 and higher and they had a perfectly healthy babies!

It's important to remember at this point that around 5% of normal pregnancies will have test results that are considered "abnormal", even when the baby is actually healthy. So basically your results coming back 1:80 do not mean that your baby definitely has downs. For this reason it is important not to panic based only on the AFP blood test. A positive AFP screening result only indicates that the pregnancy is at higher risk than originally believed and that additional, more definitive testing such as amniocentesis should be done.

Wishing you all the very best - I'm sure all this worry turns out to be over nothing.

Thinking of you hun! :hug: :hug: :hug:
Just focus on 1 in 80! Thats not that high when you think about it! :hug: :hug: :hug:

1 in 80 is pretty good odds really - its just that the Docs class it as high -
Try to think of it in a different context - If there is one red ball in a bag with 79 white balls, your chances of picking the red ball out aren't high at all really (1 in 80) and therefore the chances of your baby being that 1, isnt really high is it........I hope this is making sense!
:hug:

Thinking of you :hug: :hug: :hug:

How long does it take for the Amnio results to come back

Hi

Firstly i know exactly how you are feeling as this happened to me a couple of months back.
I came home to letter hand delivered from midwife and i was in a terrible state. Its an awful shock to get news like this but it doesn't mean that it is bad news.

I went to a consultant who explained they would do a detailed scan first before amnio to check for soft markers. They were fantastic and really studied our baby and said although not 100% they were happy with baby's development etc. I decided not to go for the amnio in the end.

1 in 80 is still low and i would explain it exactly how Choklatemunky has, the chances of picking that one red ball out is very rare.

My sister in law has known 7 of her friends to come back high risk which like it has both me and you panicked them terribly. They all have gone on to healthy beautiful children.

Please please try not to get too worried by this test (i know its easier said than done) its seems high risk results are very very common.

Just one other thing, i mentioned to my midwife that if i go on to have another baby in the future there is no way i will be having the triple bloods test again and she nodded and said you've no idea how many girls have said that to me.

Hope this info has helped you.

Take care :hug: xxx

Oh hun, Im sorry you got such a shock today :hug: :hug: :hug:

Like everyone has said though, one in 80 is actually quite low risk, its just the doctors have to use some sort of statistics.

Im sure you will be absolutely fine, and will be thinking of you!

I know it sounds bad but just remember that 1/80 means 79 of those babies are fine so keep your chin up, we are all thinking of you :hug:

hun thinking of you :hug: :hug: :hug: please try not to panic they are still great odds :hug: as everyone has said 1 in 80 is still good we are all here for you should you feel the need to talk :hug: :hug: :hug: xxxxxxxxx

I'm sorry hun. :hug:

I've got no advice but the others have got it spot on. 1 in 80 is still good odds and I will pray that everything is ok after your amnio. :hug: :hug:

Thanks everyone for your kind words :hug: xxx

Im still in a bit of a daze right now. Im just hoping the weekend doesn't drag, i just wanna get this over and done with so that i know one way or the other.
I'll hopefully be back next week with good news.

Take Care.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back