downs screening back...devastated

tallulah73 said:
I had a call from the midwife this morning, i knew it wasn't good news as soon as she said who she was cos i was told i would only get a phone call if the test results were high risk....and they are....1/80 !!!!
I'm totally devastated. I could hardly talk for crying but told her i want the amnio so im booked in for 9am Tuesday.
OH was in bed as he's been working nights so i woke him up with the bad news and he hugged me while i cried for about 2 hrs (i look a state!)

I can't help feeling ive done something wrong! i don't understand why the result is so high risk. yeah im 34 but im fit and healthy 5ft 5in & 8st 9oz, no family history of any abnormalities not even any allergies. I already have 2 healthy children...it's a "WHY ME?" situation.

Sorry for such a depressing post.
Im gona stay away from the forum until next week, i feel like im in limbo now until i know everythings going to be OK.
I will let you all know how it goes.
x

do not worry. my sister, my sister in law and my friends were both high. my sisters was 1/47 :eek: !!!!
all the babies were ok.
DO NOT PANIC!! :hug: :hug:

I completely understand what you're going through. I am 30 and had a high risk down's screening result a couple of weeks back too - although because I was on holiday I couldn't have mines done until after 18 weeks so was told mines wouldn't be as accurate. Nonetheless, like you, was devastated. I was told I was 1/235, which made me feel more at ease. We had a detailed scan, which looked completely normal and given this fact, along with very low risk, we didn't opt for the amnio. The Midwife was very helpful and told us that ladies have low risk results (cut off apparently 1/250 so we just missed that) and can still have down's baby and that a high risk result frequently occurs in normal pregnancies. Your odds are still very low too and your lower AFP levels can be normal for you. Also, my cousin had a high risk result last year - 168/200!! She had the amnio, which was normal and now has a very, healthy baby boy. Try not to worry - I have stopped worrying about it now. All the best for the amnio on Tuesday, everything will be fine, you'll see.

Take care,
Jill

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back