How much milk when starting solids?

Ellied

Reaction score
Well I finally gave in and started Charlie on some Solids. He has been showing all the signs for weeks but i have been trying to resist. It is going well. He loves everything i give him and am already doing 2 meals a day.

My question is how much milk does your baby have now. Charlie is taking about half the amount he used to do. But i think he would keep on eating more solids if i gave him the chance. He seems to be hungry but refusing his milk. He is now having about 4oz with each feed.

I also find this tricky, as in how much milk are they still supposed to drink when measured up by how many spoonfuls of solids they eat! :doh: I think that as far as giving them milk is concerned, as long as he is still getting a few ounces of milk with each meal he should be just fine. If he is eating solids, he is bound to drink less milk afterwards as tum is already half full. If you give them milk at beginning of feed he probably eat less and vice versa. Its all balance I think at first!!

Im not sure if this is fact but my HV said that they should drop no more than one bottle of feed (and thats only at 6months) which means about 4 bottles in 24hrs and should continue being hungry enough to drink a full bottle (7/8oz) after a feed. she said if they dont finish it then they're not ready for solids. but she says alot of things.... :roll:

Wether breast or formula make sure you give milk first and then top up with solids, milk is more important :D

My health visitor told me that my son should be having around 600-700ml a day by the time he reaches 26 weeks. I started weaning at 18 weeks so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Here is what my son is having just now.

06:00 - 8oz milk
09:30 - Breakfast and 4oz
13:00 - Lunch and 4oz
17:00 - Dinner, pudding and 4oz
21:30 - 8oz milk.

Hope this helps. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics