New BLW's - Share Here

I've been a bit upset this week, I knew my parents weren't really on board with blw but I thought we were getting through to them. Anyway mum looked after lo on thurs while I nipped to the drs, she agreed to stay for a coffee when I got back and I put lo in his highchair and gave him some porridge fingers, she got upset and said I can't sit here while you do this to him it's cruel, he'll choke he needs runny porridge on a spoon!! I said for godssake he's been doing it over a month he's fine, anyway sods law lo coughed while eating then started a gag, he hasn't gagged in weeks!! She panicked and screamed at me that he's choking do something, I said he's fine cos he was and she just walked out and I haven't heard from her since.

I was talking to my sister about it and joked about how lo had gagged at the worst time and she said oh god that's the worst thing ever now mum will go on about it even more, so I said what do you mean even more??? She said that mum is obsessed with the blw and how much she hates it, apparently she is constantly slagging me off about it, even worse she hates the photos I've been emailing her of lo eating, apparently they make her sick and she refuses to look at them and that I'm just sending them to her to wind her up!!!? Wtf I'm only sending her them cos it's her only grandson and I thought she'd like them, my mil loves photos of lo eating. Apparently mum says its disgusting all the food round his mouth and on his tray as it proves he's just playing with it and not eating it!!!!! Seriously who gets disgusted by pics of their grandchild eating? She's the sick one imho. My sister also said that she's been talking with all her work friends and they have said that apparantly I've got the concept of blw right but I'm not doing it correctly! Erm who the hell are these people and what the Hell do they know about how I feed my child that gives them the right to pass judgement on me, what on earth has my own mother been saying about me to strangers??? I feel so upset and betrayed that she is being so nasty about me and my son behind my back. Guess I shouldn't be surprised really it's what my family always do put you down but she is seriously starting to push me away as I won't have my son be part of it.

Sorry bit of a rant but I only have you guys to talk to about it.

I know I'm not weaning yet but I always follow this thread as it makes me excited!!

Please don't feel disheartened, that just don't understand. You talk so positively and enthusiastically about it. Let the haters hate and you carry on with this amazing job you are doing!

Agree with pinky, you're doing a fab job hun!!! Please don't be disheartened and who are these people to say you are doing it wrong, grrr that annoys me!!!

Maybe something has happened in the past and your mum has fixated on this ie did any you or your sister choke as babies?

I've sent my mum a few picks of C eating and she'll ask and check that's there's no way he can choke. I explained that there was as much chance of him choking on this as there was with purees. Infact possibly less so as he has control of the food. I also explained to her that purées were relatively new ie decades old, they were introduced when drs said babies should be weaned at 3 months and at that age they can't handle proper food so normal food was puréed so they could just swallow it. What do people think we did before blenders? I do remember though that you tried to educate your mum and gave her the blw book but she wouldn't read it? I wonder why she is so against it as even with purées you would introduce finger foods eventually which a baby could also choke on.

Sorry you're having a tough time I hope she gets in touch with you :hugs:

Oh bunny, sorry your mum is still giving you such a hard time over this. It must be frustrating for you and kind of hurtful too. The thing is if we were tw they would be getting finger foods now anyway! It must make you wonder what will be the next parenting thing she will disagree with you about. I think you and N are doing fantastically, i love hearing how your getting on and what you have been giving him.
I made those drop scones today with banana in from the cook book they went down well. K wasn't so annoyed today as we also had roast so easy for him to pick up. I've also found he gets annoyed if you give him too much at once or he wants his cup to bang on the high chair and squash the food with it!

Good pics again SS! Its funny when they pull faces or look shocked!

Thanks so much guys, hubby is out on the town tonight so I am home alone and I was feeling quite down and low thinking about it all, but you've made me feel so much better. I love the support on here and I love that you all know where I am coming from with the blw, my mum makes me feel like such a freak for doing it.

Your right that he would be starting to move onto finger foods with tw anyway, I think she just wants him on ''safe'' purees for ever, but I have a friend whos baby gags on purees but she wont hear it, I have no idea why she feels this way at all??!!!! Your right LO is completely loving it and thriving on it so that should be all that matters, I am 100% sure it is the right thing to do so its really annoying when someone makes you doubt yourself.

Thanks for the Colby pics they are ADORABLE!!!! he is really loving those meatballs!! :) I am gonna share one of our messy faces as I know you guys will appreciate it and wont think its disgusting ;-)

Attachments

• VIDEO0053_0000024792.jpg
    VIDEO0053_0000024792.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 10
  • VIDEO0052_0000024256.jpg
    VIDEO0052_0000024256.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
Awww how cute! I think its funny seeing the mess they get into! Glad you feel a bit happier now, its hard when family criticise you esp when you can see how much they get out of it not just nutrition. My mum was asking if K eats anymore yet I told her yes but Im sure if she could see she would disagree!

I have worse ones with tomato sauce but he's naked on them so didn't want to put them up lol!!! It dyed his eyebrows red for the whole day!!!!! I love seeing him enjoy himself I don't know how anyone could say they hate seeing it???? I don't know if I'll ever understand my family???

I made a veggie hotpot for lunch today omg it was yum and lo loved it I got it out of my food magazine I'll post the recipe:

1tblsp oil,
2 red onions chopped into 2cm dice,
2 garlic cloves crushed (I used 5 as I like a lot of garlic and I didn't season it cos of the salt for the baby so I think it needs more garlic to add flavour)
1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper diced (big enough for the babies to pick up)
3 corgettes diced as per the peppers
1 aubergine diced as per the peppers
400g tin chopped tomatoes (I used 2 tins as 1 wasn't enough for my dish)
3 potatoes very thinly sliced
Pinch grated nutmeg
150ml dbl cream
Small bunch basil chopped
Grated cheese (it says gruyere but I used cheddar and was just as good)

Heat the oil in a casserole dish, fry onions for 2 mins, add garlic, corgettes, peppers, aubergine cook over medium heat 10 mins, stir in tomatoes and 4 tblsp water if needed, cover and leave to simmer 15 mins,
Put potato slices in bowl and add nutmeg and cream, toss to cover. Take casserole off the heat and stir in basil then lay the potato slices on top and pour over remaining cream. Put in a 180/160/4 oven for 40mins uncovered, take out sprinkle on cheese cook for 20 more mins.

We had it with crusty bread and it was lush, it makes loads serves about 4-6 and is apparently a good source of vit c and folate and is 4 of your 5 a day!!!

Oh that sounds lovely, got everything in as well except for the cream, i have creme fresh tho maybe that would work?

Hmm it might do? Creme fraiche cooks the same as cream if u want a low fat version so I reckon it would work

That sounds tasty bunnykins, thanks for the recipe, will be trying that out.

Tonight we're having chicken curry with naan bread, it will be his first curry. Then strawberries for dessert.

Kynon seems to love curry SS, hope C does too.
We had vegetarian lasagna in the end so need to try your recipe another night bunny. Here's a messy tomato face!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336418305643.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336418305643.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 9
Aw I love a good tomato face and K has a great one there!!!! I'm doing a corgette and ricotta lasagne this week so if it's any good I'll share the recipe for that too!

Hope the curry went well ss!! How spicy did you make it??

I need some inspiration on what to give LO. I'm not very good with coming up with new ideas and want to try her on as much as possible.

So far we've had, banana, pear, apple, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, potato, green beans, bread, pasta and yoghurt.

Holly has gone off her veg! She did wolf it down but the last week or so she has started leaving it!

So good to read about how well everyone's doing! I was watching a video of lo hen he first started and the improvement is amazing!! :)

Traci - whatever u cook for yourselves, leave a bit separate before you salt it and give to baby!

Just curious, what was the first food you gave your LO. I was thinking of starting with breakfast but thought I'd pick your brains for inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back