Pissed and pregnant

suzzi

Reaction score
i have just watched a tv programme from last night called pissed and pregnant!

i was shocked at what the ladies drank and continued to drink, but most of all i was shocked to hear that when you drink before you know your pregnant can be extremly dangerous to the babys development and can get fetal alcohol syndrone, this has worried me sick

also they say if baby has syndrone they are more likely to have quick jerky movements, well my bump is like that all the while

i wish id never watched it ??

just to add to the above i stopped drinking completly when i found out i was pregnant so thought i was being sensible.

You shouldn't worry to much! I have sooo many friends who didn't find out they were pregnant untill they were 2 or 3 weeks late. They drank (since they didn't know) and their children turned out healthy and fine. I'm sure yours will as well! Hope you feel better soon!!

:hugs:

I wouldnt read into your baby bump being jerky, when pregnant with my DD she was all over the place and shes perfectly healthy. I also was drunk on several occasions before I knew I was pregnant with her and was told not to worry. I think these programmes are designed to shock the women that contiue to drink heavily throughought their pregnancy, into realising the harm that it could do to their babies. xxx

Dont worry, I dont drink and havent for years. Just dont like it and my little one has crazy movements, and is very active. Didnt see it, what chanel was it on? I'll see if its on again x

Last edited:
thanks ladies it was certainly a shock to the system and if i was drinking it would deffinatly make me think twice.

it was on Sky Living xxx

I watched it too I couldn't believe how laid back some of them were about drinking.. The doc said it was normal for babys to jump but babies with the condition would have jerked around 3 times more than normal.. Baby could have hiccups too which may cause some jumping.. Don't worry hun you will be fine x

I saw something like this recently and one of the woman on there was such a prat.

Don't worry about your bump, if there were signs of the alcohol syndrome then itr would've been picked up on your scans I'd have thought.

They showed a scan on the programme I saw and the baby was right twitching, it was unmissable and really really sad.

xxxx

I refused to watch it. Things like that make me feel physically sick!

I'm sure you're little one will be just fine hun :) x

ive saw that before and yeah the twitching thing was common in normal babies and 3 times as often in the alcohol related ones so dont worry about it. i barely ever drank before pg so no worries for me and i quit smoking as soon as i found out, cant do any more than that.

Oh glad I didn't see it, amazes me sometimes how some ladies can not see past the moment , and think of their developing baby. Your baby willbe fine, you haven't drunk iresponsibly since you found out, so don't worry yourself

I'm no angel myself but don't get me started - That's like that baby programe, on the show advert there was a girl resting her full ashtray on her large bump and was interviewed saying something like , it won't balance properly as the babys kicking it!!

^^ Seen that too :wall2: and she smoked in the same room as her toddler too x

Oh gosh!! It was my birthday about a week before i found out and i went for a night out to celebrate and got quite drunk! But i had no idea i was pregnant! I havnt touched a drop since finding out though but i have a very active baby!!! Do you think they would pick these things up at a scan??? Xxxx

feotal alcohol syndrome only affects those who drink excessively heavy (like an alcoholic) throughout their pregnancy - you will not get it from having had a few drinks when you didn't know you were pregnant x (I watched the same show)

My sister in law got really drunk when she was about 6 weeks pregnant and she didn't know, she has a beautiful healthy baby girl! :)

Also like some of the others have said, my baby can be really jerky and bouncy in the womb sometimes and I don't drink/didn't drink before I was pregnant :D xxx

It's wrong to stress women out like this, they should give examples of the amount of alcohol e.g alcoholic!! Don't they think we have enough to worry about !!!! :wall2: xxx

thats the problem though they do scare us and dont say how much alcohol it takes for baby to be ill, i dont think they know,

ive not drunk since i found out i was pregnant which was about 3 weeks.

maybe its a scare tack tic to make us stop over drinking but if like the women on there dont care then they wont stop

One respondent said "fetal alcohol syndrome only affects those who drink excessively heavy (like an alcoholic) throughout their pregnancy - you will not get it from having had a few drinks when you didn't know you were pregnant (I watched the same show)."

Well I watched the same programme and this was not said - that your child (not you) will not be affected by FASD (fetal acohol syndrome disorder) from only having a few drinks. The contrary is the case - all the experts that have been researching this issue since 1973 (Raja Mukharjee, Moira Plant, Prof Ed Riley in Seattle), will tell you there is NO safe amount of alcohol whilst pregnant. It varies from one person to another - and the trimester involved is also a factor. If there is ANY safe time it is the first 8 days after conception. Some women can have high levels of alcohol without any effect, others can have just the occasional drink. It's like playing Russian Roulette. Not worth the risk. Am I talking rubbish? I work in family finding - identifying adoptive families that can look after the children born with FASD conditions that are later unable to be looked after by their parent. Remember the adopted child Matthew on the TV programme? There are 7000 children born in the UK each year with his condition or a variant of it. This is a huge and growing problem in the UK because of the lack of proper health and pregnancy education. No 'safe' limites... If you are still sceptical surf the web for the research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back