Views on alcohol while pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahCarps2be

Reaction score
Hey ladies!

Just thought I'd start a little discussion really.
On what your views are on drinking alcohol while pregnant.

Just for the record, I don't drink usually (only on an occasion before pregnancy).
However, now the suns out, I would kill to sit in the garden with half a cider but obviously I can't!

The guys in the office just now were saying that back in the day ladies used to drink Guiness while pregnant because it had nutrients in it or something, and I also heard that a glass of red wine is meant to be good for the baby?

Anyone else heard this?! And would it harm the baby?

:)

Last edited:
Eeek, not too sure about this one. In my book I got from my midwife it says there is no safe amount of alcohol while pregnant. Personally I'm not going to have any at all, I just think if I can't go 9 months out of my 80 odd years on this planet (hopefully :lol:) without a drink then I'm a mad woman!
I sat in the garden on Sunday and had Appletiser in a pint glass :) or Kopparberg sell a non alcoholic version but haven't tried it. Before I got pregnant my drinking was actually getting out of hand so it's really nice being free of it all :D
xxx

Last edited:
I like a drink - there is nothing like a few glasses of wine at the weekend (or when out for dinner) or a bottle of Corona with lime in this kind of weather :shock:

However I plan not to drink at all.

I'll be pregnant for my brother's 30th, my Dad's 60th, B-I-L's 30th and my own Birthday as well as various weddings and a few christenings plus lots of summer BBQ's and several friends Birthday's....

I did think maybe I can have the odd glass of champers if I fancy it for the big celebrations but after totally cutting it out I am not missing it at all...

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
It would be nice to sit and have a nice half lager and black right about now... but i wont. I simply cant do it... i stopped smoking the day i found out too!

I dont think that it is worth it plus would you just be able to have one? I know I wouldn't be able to and would be mad that i could not have more :)
Before being preggers I liked a drink but to be honest its not bothered me too much, there are lots of non alcoholic versions of stuff out there which is good. Tesco do a low (0.5%) cider which is nice :)

Fair point ladies.

I totally see your point. I'm a good girl normally I don't usually drink, never done drugs, never smoked!

My m/w said that if you drink regularly ( I think if you're an alcoholic ) to not drink more then 1 to 2 units per week.

I do worry that it could harm the baby, but what do mums do when they don't know they're pregnant!?

The advice changes, at the moment (since 2008) NICE recommend that all alcohol is avoided in pregnancy, but a glasses on the odd occasion after the first trimester might be ok, expert dont know for sure.

What they do know is that ALL alcohol passes across the plancenta and into the baby's bloods stream.

Personally (and this is my own view for me) I wont be drinking at all during my pregnancy as I just hate the thought of alcohol in his system at such a young age particularly whilst he is still developing vital organs and his brain.

Thats my choice though.
xx

I think the guidelines are 1 unit per week but I didn't drink before getting pregnant apart from special ocassions and I haven't had any alcohol at all during the pregnancy. Tbh I'm not bothered because I didn't drink before and don't want to risk it. I'm say in garden with homemade non alcoholic fruit punch with plenty of ice and fruit in it and to me that's nicer than a glass of wine.

I dont think that it is worth it plus would you just be able to have one? I know I wouldn't be able to and would be mad that i could not have more :)
Before being preggers I liked a drink but to be honest its not bothered me too much, there are lots of non alcoholic versions of stuff out there which is good. Tesco do a low (0.5%) cider which is nice :)

I'd just be able to have one.
It's annoying though 'cause it's the same with Energy drinks like Monster and Redbull lol, I HATE redbull normally, my OH drinks them all the time, and Monster and I'm beginning to LOVE the smell of it.
But I know they're a definate no no, due to the increase of heartbeat on bubba if you drink them.

I don't want them all to become a craving I cannot have! Lol.

Also, Kopperberg non alcoholic is just to die for!!! Tastes JUST like pear drops!

I do still use negligable amounts of red wine in cooking (it is just the odd few recipes tough)

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
The midwife I seen at my booking in appointment was really old school anyway but said to avoid all alcohol. That's what I've been doing anyway as I want to be as safe as possible.
And the non alcoholic kopparberg is yummy! :) xxxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

It's a personal choice I think.....

I am avoiding alcohol completely, I didn't drink much beforehand and hubby hardly drinks so it doesn't really bvother me. I would be more worried about the effects on a tiny bit of alcohol on LO's system. xx

When i was pregnant with my first (2004) they said 1-2 glasses a week was fine. So i did. He was fine. I didnt drink at all with my 2nd or 3rd children, and havent with this one. I dont even miss it tbh, dont get me wrong, i'd love to have a bacardi and coke, and im looking forward to having one in a few months time! But 9 months out of the rest of your life is nothing :) x

I don't drink anyway, so it'll be easy to avoid alcohol!

I love a good drink - but not whilst preggers.

I studied psychology and uni and one of the modules was on Child development - it was fascinating but also very sad when we were presented with info on unhealthy babies whose mummies had drunk booze during pregnancy. Put me completely off - I'm sure those mummies drank quite a bit to affect their babies so badly, but I dont want to risk it.

I survive with fake wine!

OH doesn't even like me near sweets that have chocolate liquer in them!
However, if someone cooked me a spag bol with red wine in it I probably wouldn't be worried - would have cooked out most of the booze.

Yeah, I totally agree with all you ladies.

Just thought I'd start up a little topic :).

Hey ladies,
I always looked forward to my glass of wine on a Friday and Saturday night and if I'm being honest I do miss it to relax too however I am in no way an alcoholic! I have thought about this a lot my doctor actually told me that as long as you don't exceed your daily limit then there is no harm. My MIL who is a very experienced nurse and has had 4 kids said to me that one glass every once in a while won't do harm. However, I haven't had alcohol since finding out I was pregnant. It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day and what your comfortable with. x

I have had the odd glass of wine throughout my pregnancy and I did with my LO too and she is fine I have given up smoking both times I got pregnant so for me that is way more important than the odd glass of wine which I don't personally feel is as big a deal as smoking to be honest!

Personally I havnt and won't touch a drop of alcohol untill my baby is here safe, woulnt say I was a big drinker before, but as some people said its only for 9months. And if they don't know how safe or unsafe it is then best just to avoid it!!

Cooking with wine is fine because the alcohol burns off as soon as the sauce bubbles, so would have little affect.
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic