probability of twins?

cherelle

Reaction score
Doea anyone know anything about the probability of twins? My OH is an identical twin and i also have twin half sisters on my dad's side. Not sure if the 'twin gene' comes from the male or female side of family or how it works?

Im feeling quite big - im only 7 weeks tomorrow but have a hard noticable bump already and i had a flat stomach before! x

Hiya,

I found this and thought it might be helpful :)

"With the fraternal twins, the mother ovulates multiple eggs that are fertilized by different sperm. So, genetically, this is determined by the mother; mothers with a family history tend to have a higher chance of having twins.

With identical twins, it happens when the newly fertilized egg splits and starts dividing as though they are two separate bodies. This happens by chance, nothing about the mother or father really affects this. It is completely random."

I think though there must be something in the genes passed down because there are definitely cases of twins having twins and so on!

Hope this helps :) xx

No idea about the probability but I have no twins in either my family or OH's and here I am 29 weeks with non identical boys :lol:

on our family tree there are loads of twins on my dads side, and apparently it doesn't go through your dad, but i have been pregnat with twins twice now, miscarried both of them with my 1st set, and this pregnany just lost 1 and 1 is still fine. I have no idea if there are any on my mums side, but might be handy to see, my brothers wife also has got pregnant with twins but sadly lost hers too, i have always wondered if its down to our family even though they say it cant.

you wont be able to guess if its twins by the size of the bump sweety.
there are twins and triplets on my side and twins on hubby side. and i was showing by the time i was 8 weeks. i thought the chances would be high. only way to find out is when you have your scan.
good luck tho sweety :D

thanks everyone, i guess ive got just as much chance as every else as having twins .... sounds like the fact my OH is a twin doesnt make a difference. My mums sister has been pregnant with twins before so suppose it is on mums side too but i guess ill just hve to wait and see!

If its not twins i wonder why i seem to be bigger than everyone else! i look about 20 weeks! lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back