Spotting at 6 weeks advice

Luna1723

Reaction score
So a bit of background my last LMP was 29 Dec so according to that I should be 6 weeks 6 days pregnant. I’ve had some light spotting when I wipe over the last 4 days. It’s never been heavy enough to reach my underwear and it’s been coming and going.

One of the times I started spotting was after a painful bowel movement where I had to strain (sorry tmi) and once when I sneezed quite forcefully, which was sore across my abdomen but it’s still doing it on and off.

Contacted EPU who were completely useless, said it could be implantation bleeding and not to phone back unless I was in pain or bleeding through a pad said it was to early and they wouldn’t scan me anyway.

I was getting frustrated and booked a private scan yesterday. When I was scanned all they could see was the yoke sack and they dated me at 5 weeks 5 days. They said everything looked perfect I was just a bit early to see baby etc but they said they’re was nothing she could see to cause concern, couldn’t see a bleed, everything looked how it should but I’m still spotting

I guess I’m wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and had a positive outcome?

I’ve had a previous MC and one healthy baby. I’m so unbelievably stressed and I’ve minimal symptoms aswell so that’s not helping

Hi, I’m so sorry you’re going through this but I had almost the identical experience as I had spotting at 6wk+4 for 3 days then 7wk+4 again for 3 days. It was always just when I wiped.

what colour is it? Mine was just brown discharge.

my EPU would only scan after 7 weeks. I had a transvaginal scan at 8wk+1 and all was ok. I’ve just had another scan today at 10wks+4 and all is still ok. On the day I got my spotting at 6wk+4 they couldn’t see anything other than an empty sac - not even the yolk sac. They said I might have just been too early to see but when I had my transvaginal scan it was so much clearer. I’ve had 2 previous MCs and 1 baby so I told EPU how anxious I was so they agreed to scan me when I got the 2nd lot of spotting. Maybe try calling them again in a few days? They told me it was just implantation bleeding so fingers crossed yours is the same. They said it can be brown or even pinkish x

Thank you so much for responding, it’s a very light pink and I’ve had some tiny brown almost stringy like discharge, was literally a tiny blob on the toilet paper. It was only slightly darker but still pink after the bowel movement/sneezing.

Yeah the midwife said they wouldn’t entertain me until 7 weeks, think some of them forget it’s meant to be a caring profession. I told her how anxious I was having a previous MC and said yeah our guidelines don’t account for 1 just multiple MC’s. I have an anxiety disorder and tried to explain this but they’re weren’t interested

the private scan I got yesterday the sonographer did both an abdominal and a transvaginal scan. I’ve actually booked another private scan for 2 weeks time so hopefully see more, the lady that does it done all my NHS scans with my little girl and my private ones last time so I totally trust her. phoning the EPU has just absolutely traumatised me with the way they’ve been so far so unless the spotting becomes much worse I’ll just wait for private scan.

She said the yolk sack looked perfect and nothing looked concerning etc hopefully see a little bean with a heartbeat then.

Glad everything is looking ok with most recent scan ❤️

Hi, I’m so sorry you’re going through this but I had almost the identical experience as I had spotting at 6wk+4 for 3 days then 7wk+4 again for 3 days. It was always just when I wiped.

what colour is it? Mine was just brown discharge.

my EPU would only scan after 7 weeks. I had a transvaginal scan at 8wk+1 and all was ok. I’ve just had another scan today at 10wks+4 and all is still ok. On the day I got my spotting at 6wk+4 they couldn’t see anything other than an empty sac - not even the yolk sac. They said I might have just been too early to see but when I had my transvaginal scan it was so much clearer. I’ve had 2 previous MCs and 1 baby so I told EPU how anxious I was so they agreed to scan me when I got the 2nd lot of spotting. Maybe try calling them again in a few days? They told me it was just implantation bleeding so fingers crossed yours is the same. They said it can be brown or even pinkish x

I'm sorry, it's so hard isn't it :( But yes, I had loads of spotting in my first pregnancy and even a mini period for my first 2 missed periods and that resulted in a perfectly healthy now strapping 7 year old! So as rubbish as your EPU are being please try not to worry too much, I'm sure you'll see a beautiful heartbeat at your next scan xx

Thank you so much for your reply, it seems to have eased off now so I’m a little less stressed. It’s encouraging to hear other people say they’ve had this type of spotting and gone on to have healthy babies ❤️

I'm sorry, it's so hard isn't it :( But yes, I had loads of spotting in my first pregnancy and even a mini period for my first 2 missed periods and that resulted in a perfectly healthy now strapping 7 year old! So as rubbish as your EPU are being please try not to worry too much, I'm sure you'll see a beautiful heartbeat at your next scan xx

Thank you so much for your reply, it seems to have eased off now so I’m a little less stressed. It’s encouraging to hear other people say they’ve had this type of spotting and gone on to have healthy babies ❤️
It lasted around 3 days for me. How long have you been having the spotting now? X

It’s been on and off since last Sunday. Some days it’s hardly there at all just a tinge of pink on the loo roll on one instance and then it goes away. I phoned EPU today and have a scan appointment next Monday because it’s been ongoing. It’s really strange it’s not getting any heavier so who knows what’s going on. Going to be the longest week of my life, I never get many symptoms of pregnancy but I’m still shattered and my boobs are still sore so I’m hoping that’s a little positive thing but tbh I’m preparing myself for the worst

It lasted around 3 days for me. How long have you been having the spotting now? X

Just wanted to update as this is all still ongoing, still spotting after bowel movements. That’s been over a week now. I’m due to go to EPU on Monday for NHS scan. Went to my GP today and they’ve done a swab to make sure there is no infection.

My anxiety was doing me in so I booked another private scan. My last scan just showed empty Yolk sack and was dated 5 weeks 5 days. Today I should be 6 weeks 5 days. There was a 3.4 mm fetal pole there today with a lovely little flickering heartbeat.

She dated baby 6 weeks and said she would’ve liked baby to be a little bit bigger but it’s positive there is a heartbeat ❤️ and things have obviously progressed over the last week. Still early days but hopefully things will move forward from now on in. The sonographer still can’t find any cause for the bleeding

She said the baby should grow about 1 mm a day so when we get the scan on Monday we can have a better idea of how things are progressing!

Just wanted to update as this is all still ongoing, still spotting after bowel movements. That’s been over a week now. I’m due to go to EPU on Monday for NHS scan. Went to my GP today and they’ve done a swab to make sure there is no infection.

My anxiety was doing me in so I booked another private scan. My last scan just showed empty Yolk sack and was dated 5 weeks 5 days. Today I should be 6 weeks 5 days. There was a 3.4 mm fetal pole there today with a lovely little flickering heartbeat.

She dated baby 6 weeks and said she would’ve liked baby to be a little bit bigger but it’s positive there is a heartbeat ❤️ and things have obviously progressed over the last week. Still early days but hopefully things will move forward from now on in. The sonographer still can’t find any cause for the bleeding

She said the baby should grow about 1 mm a day so when we get the scan on Monday we can have a better idea of how things are progressing!
So glad they at least found a heartbeat! Keep us posted!

Aw so glad they found a heartbeat! When I had my on/off spotting the hospital just said it’s probably old implantation bleeding coming out. What a relief for you! Let us know how you get on after your scan on Monday x

Aw so glad they found a heartbeat! When I had my on/off spotting the hospital just said it’s probably old implantation bleeding coming out. What a relief for you! Let us know how you get on after your scan on Monday x
Thank you I will! ❤️

Had a total scare today had some bright red bleeding when I wiped this morning so panic stations and then had my EPU scan later on, everything is looking good lovely bold white line round the sack which is apparently great ‍♀️ baby has grown since Wed and has a lovely strong heartbeat. I’ve to go back in 2 weeks for another reassurance scan so fingers crossed

Can’t find any sign of any bleeding again, did a really in-depth look at all my ovaries etc could see baby and heartbeat on abdominal scan so didn’t need the vaginal scan.

The sonographer said something about the ovary that released the egg, like something happens to the follicle after ovulation like it’s almost like a cyst like thing that helps maintain the pregnancy and it should go away but mine is still there? It’s not a bad thing but it can cause some discomfort or bleeding.

I’ve also just got off the phone from my drs because I got a wee swab done because my discharge was a bit odd coloured and it turns out I have thrush. I swear if it’s thrush that’s caused this bleeding I’m going to lose it

still don’t feel like I’m out the woods even through baby has a strong heartbeat, it’s like I’m seeing evidence everything is fine but I’m still bleeding so it’s like my brain isn’t computing the 2 things

early pregnancy is a wild ride!

Had a total scare today had some bright red bleeding when I wiped this morning so panic stations and then had my EPU scan later on, everything is looking good lovely bold white line round the sack which is apparently great ‍♀️ baby has grown since Wed and has a lovely strong heartbeat. I’ve to go back in 2 weeks for another reassurance scan so fingers crossed

Can’t find any sign of any bleeding again, did a really in-depth look at all my ovaries etc could see baby and heartbeat on abdominal scan so didn’t need the vaginal scan.

The sonographer said something about the ovary that released the egg, like something happens to the follicle after ovulation like it’s almost like a cyst like thing that helps maintain the pregnancy and it should go away but mine is still there? It’s not a bad thing but it can cause some discomfort or bleeding.

I’ve also just got off the phone from my drs because I got a wee swab done because my discharge was a bit odd coloured and it turns out I have thrush. I swear if it’s thrush that’s caused this bleeding I’m going to lose it

still don’t feel like I’m out the woods even through baby has a strong heartbeat, it’s like I’m seeing evidence everything is fine but I’m still bleeding so it’s like my brain isn’t computing the 2 things

early pregnancy is a wild ride!
It certainly is a wild ride but such a lovely reassuring appointment for you today!

Another update for today.

Started bleeding/spotting a lot heavier, which is now making it to a pad/underwear. It’s bright red and has some small clots in it.

Boobs aren’t as tender today either

Been asked by my GP to send a urine sample to see if there’s any infection other than the thrush because there was blood in my pee. Said if it came back negative I could book in for an internal examination.

Phoned EPU as bleeding was getting heavier, told it could be thrush that’s causing it because it’s so vascular down there in early pregnancy! Think I’m feeling a bit crampy but not sure I don’t trust my mind/body at the moment.

At my wits end with this now I don’t understand how I can go from a perfect scan to this! Slowly beginning to lose hope, can’t stop crying

Oh no, I'm sorry, will the EPU see you again? Try not to loose hope, you had bleeding before and everything was ok so hopefully it will be again :hug: xx

Oh no, I'm sorry, will the EPU see you again? Try not to loose hope, you had bleeding before and everything was ok so hopefully it will be again :hug: xx

EPU won’t see me unless I’m in pain or bleeding through a pad. The bleeding was never like this before it’s been bright red for two days, loads of clots in it and it’s now reaching my pad so I don’t think that’s good at all

EPU won’t see me unless I’m in pain or bleeding through a pad. The bleeding was never like this before it’s been bright red for two days, loads of clots in it and it’s now reaching my pad so I don’t think that’s good at all

Oh I’m so so sorry Luna,
Maybe just tell them you are in pain,
Pop on down to the gynae assessment unit. thrush can cause that but generally not bleeding to that extent and you’d have other symptoms such as itchy, burning and white discharge x

Oh I’m so so sorry Luna,
Maybe just tell them you are in pain,
Pop on down to the gynae assessment unit. thrush can cause that but generally not bleeding to that extent and you’d have other symptoms such as itchy, burning and white discharge x
I definitely have thrush, my GP did a vaginal swab that confirmed it

Just another update, got really painful cramps, felt like I needed to run to the toilet, passed a massive clot with pink tissue which I’m 100% sure is baby. Having really heaving bleeding so I’ve to go to maternity assessment to get checked and my epu is scanning me tomorrow to check. Will update tomorrow for those following along. Thank you for all your advice so far ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back