The truth about C-Sections??

abcd1234

Reaction score
can anyone shed some light on how a C-section REALLY is?? All along i've been thinking how i dont want one and realised i actually dont have a clue what i'd be expecting if i end up having one.

I know the formalities, such as them cutting you open etc, but its the recovery and actual pain i'm interested in.

It seems like everything i've read just mentions how safe they are now and how they can save yours and babies life, theres never any comment on recovery.

When i google it i get lots of american sites and their whole take on birth is very different to how it is here apparently they medicalise birth loads, the site said the mother has her hands strapped down during the section, please tell me thats just in that area. The site kinda implied C-sections are horrible.

I guess i just want an honest and accurate idea of what i'd be like if i have to have one.

if you want honesty hun it was the worst thing i went through in my life, the pain after was incredible even with pain relief and it was 3 weeks before i could move with any comfort, it took over 6 months for the wound to heal right due to infection after infection ( i know everyone isnt the same ).

I have a story from the other side. The section was fine! Ok it wasn't ideal but I didn't have much pain after (managed with paracetemol) and the worst thing about it was I had lost a bit too much blood and was therefore aneamic and had to go iron tablets.

My wound was stitched with disolvable stitches and I had a fantastic surgeon who gave me the neatest scar from an op I've ever seen!

The hard parts were the first day where I couldn't get out of bed without help as I had a catheter (which was not as bad as I expected and even being removed wasn't painful). The catheter meant OH had to pass her to me or I had to buzz when Lucy cried for a midwife to come and pass her over to be fed and the midwives/Chris had to do her first nappies and OH dressed her for the first time.

But once my catheter was out (the following day) I was encouraged to get up and move about (scary because you think your wound will pop open) and while it was a bit uncomfortable the more confident I got the easier it was to move.

I was in hospital for 3 nights and home before lunch on the fourth day after she was born.

At home it just meant I had to take it easy, I wasn't to lift anything heavier than my baby so OH and my mum helped with lifting/carrying/hoovering etc.

When I told my mum that I'd had to have a section she was upset and worried but in the end my recovery was surprisingly quick and easy.

As Mary says, every experience is different but mine turned out to be very positive considering it was an emergency procedure.

Again, mine was fine.

It was an emergency C section because he was breach.

Was taken to theater, sat on the bed, given a spinal block, couldnt feel that, because I had been sprayed with some cold spray stuff. Layed down with my partner at my head, the surgeon and others chatted to us, and eachother throughout the prcedure, max 5 mins later, the anestitist (sp) told my OH to stand up, just as they pulled LO out of me, and cut the cord. He was then waved over the curtain thing at me, wraped up and put on my bed facing me. I was the stiched up, took about 10-15 mins. Taken to recovery room, given skin to skin, fed my LO and given tea and toast. OH dressed him after, and we went thru to the ward.

It was difficult no being able to move/get to my baby, but that only lasted until I could feel mylegs etc again. Had him at 5.10am thursday, was out noon saturday. given pain killers etc etc, only took paracetamol for a few more days, then stopped, didnt really need it. Yes, moving was harder, and hurt abit... but... no where near as much as id of expected.

I cant believe how small, low and neat the scar is, stitch was taken out on day 5, never had a problem.

I think i'll go for one next time too...

Everyone is different but my emergency section was the easiest and less painfull part of an 30 hour labour. I was rushed into theatre as my lo was in distress and i wasnt dilating. The theatre staff were lovely and calming, very informative. I had the spinal block which was o.k then felt some tugging (but no pain) 10n min later my son appeared over the screen. Hubby was with me and i got to kiss baby etc then he was weighed etc where i could see. He was then taken out by hubby for 40 min while i was stitched up with again no pain.

My recovery was o.k, yes painful to laugh, bend cough etc and i was frustrated at not being able to get on with things but i did attend a 30th birthday 3 weeks after and danced lots so cant of been tha bad at that point :D

I cant compare the after part to a natural though which im told is much better. mind you my friend was bed ridden at the same time as me from tearing through a natural birth so they arnt always plain sailing.
Ive opted for an elective this time and i wouldnt say im excited about the section it but im not fearing it either.

Try not to worry about it, think about how many sections/births are straightforward. Good luck. :hug: .

I had an emergency section just coming up to 3 years ago now, as the other have said the first 24 hours you're pretty much bed riddden, I was given a morphine pump to administer my own pain relief and only used 5ml of it in 24hours as it made me feel quite queasy, although even if it hadn't had that effect I dont think I would have used much more. I managed on paracetamol for just over a week then I stopped.
The first time I stood up was awful, I literally though my insides were going to fall out but every time you stand up it gets easier.
My scar didn't get infected, I was told to hold the shower head over it to make sure it was clean and just let plenty of air get to it...worked well for me as I had no problems.
Obviously there is no heavy lifting, hosework but the one thing I did find very painful was flushing the toilet :rotfl: I found flushing it while still sitting on the toilet was easier (useless info there for you, lol)
I am having a planned c-section again on 29th July, as Katie05 said I am not excited at the prospect of being cut open but I've been there before and I know, providing everything goes well, every day I'll be getting much better and I wont have been in labour for a week beforehand without dilating a cm!!!

Hi makkap, glad to hear you got a section date hun :D Same time as me too so we can swap notes-ha ha! :D

iv never had a c-section but from what iv heard they are like natural births- there are good stories and bad!

i would imagine the actual birth is much easier coz labour and pushing really really hurts and is blimmin hard work- but the recovery will be longer of course- its a major operation. my mum had a hysterectomy which is a similar op and for 6 weeks she could not drive or lift things and i had to go round to my parents every week to do the cleaning (my dad dont have a clue lol!) u gotta really take it easy.

hope all goes well good luck xx

hey hun :) i had an emergency-sec

not that bad tbh..

your just unconfortable.. (so long as u maintain ur pain meds for first few days)

but dont be feeling brave and refuse meds.. you'll pay for it! lol

just dont do anything strenuous and its really not that bad..

i think the only obvious things different from natural is - no driving for 6 weeks :cry: and the scar.....

I didn't find the pain after the c section that bad to be honest. I had no pain relief after and all I felt was a bit stiff. It was hard to get around for the first few days and to bend but mainly I was fine. The worst part for me was the blood loss, I lost quite a bit and felt like I had just literally been semi warmed up. But we were out shopping in town 5 days after Aaron was born and I had him registered that day too (I was told off by the woman who registered him :lol:) I think I went to the local supermarket 4 days after I had him because I had to get out. My feet were very swollen as well which is common with c sections apparently. Another thing I was never told about with c sections is the wind pain you can get afterwards, I had it in my shoulder and it was awful!!

But mainly the recovery was fine. But I did have to have quite a bit of help, like you can't put your arms above your head to hang out washing etc and you can only lift your baby, nothing heavier which is a pain cos I wanted to be able to carry him from the car in his seat. I'm aiming for a natural birth this time just because I think it will be a lot easier with having a toddler as well as a baby to look after.

I had a planned section and I really enjoyed my experiance!
The pain is bad the next day but when I had pain killers in me
it wasn't half as bad.
You don't feel any pain at all during the op all you feel is tugging
and pulling but it didn't hurt one bit.
It's over so so quickly and when the baby is out you don't
even notice what they are doing to you because your so
busy cuddling baby.
If I have any more then I defo want another section.

My only complaint about it is when Summer stands on the scar!!!
Oh and when it comes to shaving down there, that stings the scar
when the hairs grow back.

katie05 said:
Hi makkap, glad to hear you got a section date hun :D Same time as me too so we can swap notes-ha ha! :D

Oh is it the same day!? :D
I feel much more settled now I know whats going on, hosp basically said I had no chance of a natural anyway! I have a feeling I might be a bit before though as bp is creeping up, was 160/98 yesterday :wall:

I've had a natural birth with DD and a planned section with DS the section was bliss, easy and pain free, recovery for me was fab too all healed externally in 10 days and no pain whats so ever :cheer:

I had an elective c-section as my daughter was breech.

It was a really weird day. I got up at 6am to go into hospital for 7am and I had the same sort of nerves I'd have if I was going for a job interview. When I got to theatre, I started crying uncontrollably (quite normal apparently), even though I had 9 months to prepare myself for being a mother, on the actual day it felt very scary.

When my daughter was taken out of me, I didn't realise until the midwife asked my partner to come over to her to meet our little one. He then brought her over to me for a short while, they both then went to the maternityt ward and I was stitched up in theatre, as I was transfered from the operating bed to my hospital bed, I started to struggle breathing (only for a few seconds), but it was a bit scary, then went to recovery for half an hour.

That afternoon I was encouraged to get out of bed and go to the toilet. I did need support as I felt very weak, but managed fine. Each time I got up it got easier. I was given morphine that evening as pain relief, but it was horrible and made me halloucinate, I saw a man outside my hospital window dancing under a lamp post!!!! There was no-one there. After that I decided i didn't want any more morphine so stopped taking it and stuck to paracetamol.

The next day I started to get really bad wind pain in my belly (apparently they fill you with air when operating on you), it sounded like I had a cow in my belly mooing!

I went home on day 3, on the journey home in the car I used a towel to protect my scar which helped protect it.

Once home everything was fine, I took arnica to ease the bruising and I went out every day for a very little stroll, each day walking further and further.

Now I have got a very nice little neat scar which tells a good story.

I'm hoping with my current pregnancy I will be able to have a natural birth, purely cos I also have a toddler to look after and i want to be able to pick her up for cuddles.

Makkap im the day before you if all goes well :D I have a feeling i may labour before that though.

To the ladies who have had an elective..do you feel drowsy and abit away with it afterwards or are you o.k? I was after my emergency you see but that was because of the drugs and gas and air id had for the natural before it all went wrong.

I had an emergency C-Section, as waters broke 6 weeks early, but LO was in distress so had to come out fast.

The C-section itself was easy-peasy, the staff were great & explained each step. I got told it would feel like "having the washing-up done in your stomach".... pretty good description actually, you can feel you're being pulled around but can't REALLY feel anything.

I had a few probs afterwards tho - my drain wasn't fitted properly, so the excess blood from surgery was pooling up inside me overnight & when I tried to get up the following day I fainted and had to be put on various drips etc. to re-hydrate me while I was checked over to ensure there was no internal bleeding - all OK in the end tho.

The worst part for me about the C-section was not being able to drive for 6 weeks afterwards :evil:

katie05 said:
To the ladies who have had an elective..do you feel drowsy and abit away with it afterwards or are you o.k? I was after my emergency you see but that was because of the drugs and gas and air id had for the natural before it all went wrong.

I was wondering the same as I was pretty much out of it by the time Reece was here.

Just think on tuesday we can say 'our babies will be here this month!!!' :shock:

Ohh i know Makkap, im so excited :cheer: . Do you know what your having this time? Mines a surprise but im soo looking forward to the 'its a..' moment. My little boy still keeps saying 'no' though when i ask if he wants a brother or sister..oh dear :D

i had an emergency c-section with jess as she was breech, only i wasnt concious for any of it, I was put to sleep with anthsetic as it was too late for epidural or anythink else, she was coming arm first, when i had an internal examination the m/w felt a digit and got the scanner down and found she was breech, i was rushed to threatre as i was allready fully dilated, i just had the feeling of pain afterwards as i hadnt gone through the mental process of labour, it felt like i had my baby stolen from my belly, and afterwards i couldent even turn my body in the bed coz it hurt so much.

sorry if tmi, but for me it wasnt nice as i didnt really have a labour and it was a factor in me having pnd. Maby it I would have felt different if i had been aware of what was going on and had, had an epidural instead. :think:

On a lighter note i did notice the difference when i had a natural labour with rebecca with just gas and air, personnally i would only ever have a c-section again if it was a complete emergency and nesscerary.

katie05 said:
Ohh i know Makkap, im so excited :cheer: . Do you know what your having this time? Mines a surprise but im soo looking forward to the 'its a..' moment. My little boy still keeps saying 'no' though when i ask if he wants a brother or sister..oh dear :D

We're having a little girl!! :cheer:
Reece was adamant from the time I was about 12 weeks that it was a girl and there was NO telling him any different! So we decided to find out the sex incase it was a boy so we'd have quite a few weeks to change his mind, lol. When we told him it was a girl he said 'I know!!'
He keeps looking at her clothes and saying 'awww so cute' I cant wait to see his wee face the first time he sees her, I think he'll be delighted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back