twins?!?!?!

pregnantmumof3

Reaction score
i have just found out im pregnant again....i have 3 children already. a 5 year old girl a 4 year old girl and a 2 year old very clingy (but beautiful) little boy!! this is a new partner who i have been with for over a year. this will be his first baby. he himself is a twin (non identicle) and his eldest sister also had non identical twins....is at all likely it can run through my partner and his genes make me concieve twins?? can anyone help??

Hi , welcome to PF, and congratulations - I'm a mum of 4 and it's lovely!

Really sorry I don't know much about twins , but I read a handy articale which explains it nicely.

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=86

Non Identical twins are not linked to the dads side of the family as it is all from a double ovulation, mother releasing two eggs at the same time, where two are fertilized.

Hope it helps,

Wishing you a lovely singleton pregnancy X

Last edited:
thank you. i really dont think i am the type to release 2 eggs...but thought i would ask about the likelyhood.thank you for welcoming me. i will read your artical now,thanks again.xx

sorry.....i did however miscarry twins but this was 6 years ago.notlikely to happen again tho??xx

Welcome to the forum :)

The chance of u conceiving non identical twins is the same as everyone else around 1 in 80 I think, but ur partner could carry the gene of hyper ovulation (releasing more than one egg) and pass it on to a daughter if u were to have a girl and her chances of conceiving non identical twins would increase to around 1 in 17. I know this from doing research as I am a non identical twin myself, and pregnant with just one :) xx

I agree with what the others have said, and I can only add my own experience. I am a 38 year old mum of one (8 years old) and I'm also with a new partner. I found out at my 12 week scan I was carrying twins (non-identical) and it was a complete shock. However, doing some research, I discovered that my OH has a few sets of twins on his side from generations past. I've also read that if you are an older mum like me, chances of double ovulation are higher as is also the case if you have just come off the birth control pill (as I had).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back