Early Scan - private

newbie1984

Reaction score
Looking at booking an early scan in a couple of weeks - has anybody paid for one of these privately? If so how many weeks were you and was it worth it?

Thanks xx

I had an early reassurance scan (NHS) when I was 7w 1d. I was able to have this as I'd suffered 3 miscarriages previously.

This was an internal scan and we got to see HB, which was amazing.

I had a private scan at 9w 5d (with BabyBond, cost £99) and it was out f this world. I got to hear HB twice, we saw arms and legs and the babies brain. It even woke up at one point and started floating around!!

It was the most amazing experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.

The earlier you go the less you will see though, and before 6 weeks you may not even see a HB

xxxxxxxxx

I'm 6-4 at the moment so was going to wait till around 9 weeks. Wow sounds amazing. I just want to know everything is normal! I don't think I can wait till my nhs scan.

I am going to get a reasurance scan at 7 weeks, I had a suspected miscarraige last Jan so DH is very nervous and it is only 35 near where we are. Hoping just to confirm that it is a baby in there :) Also had some reflexology done yesterday and the reflexologist could feel that there was something in my womb!! Woohoo can't believe it!

i'm 6 weeks today and i'm having a scan tomorrow due to some worrying symptoms which seems to have gone now. I don't have to pay. if your worried about something you shouldn't have to x

I had a private scan on friday i thought i was 6w6d but turned out i was 7w2d. Have to say it was the best money spent and nothing like an nhs one, we looked at the heart, where the brain is starting to develope the lady explained everything really clearly to our son who came with us.

ooo sounds good. I'm going to see how this one goes tomorrow and then I might go for one x

i'm 6 weeks today and i'm having a scan tomorrow due to some worrying symptoms which seems to have gone now. I don't have to pay. if your worried about something you shouldn't have to x

It doesn't work like that!!

EPU (early pregnancy units) will only see you if you have had bleeding and or severe cramps. They are for use in emergencies.

You cannot just walk in because your are worried and ask for a scan - otherwise every women in early stages of pregnancy would do this :shock: :shock:

It is natural to be worried in the early days but if you have had no bleeding or cramping then you really should book a private scan - otherwise you are taking an appointment from a woman that really needs it.

xxxxxxx

well I don't think thats fair tosay, as the midwives would have advised if I didn't need one and they think I do which is why I am going in . I personally would rather not have needed one but unfortunately am not blessed with having a smooth early pregnancy and am having some worrying symptoms so I think it is very personal. I think if you are worried and they advise that it is a worrying symptom then go in for a scan !

well I don't think thats fair tosay, as the midwives would have advised if I didn't need one and they think I do which is why I am going in . I personally would rather not have needed one but unfortunately am not blessed with having a smooth early pregnancy and am having some worrying symptoms so I think it is very personal. I think if you are worried and they advise that it is a worrying symptom then go in for a scan !

I wish I'd never had to set foot in an EPU but sadly I have - several times!!

I assume that your "worrying symptoms" have included some sort of bleed and or cramping?

There is a difference between worrying symptoms and being worried which is what you said in your post above?

Anyhoo - hope all is OK for you tomorrow!

xxxxxxx

yes and a few others too. believe me I would love to not have to go and find out if I may have miscarried

of course if ur having worrying symptoms then by all means ring epu and have a scan i think what carnat means is ladies cant just have a scan cos they are generaly worried, i had an early scan due to an mc last yr so they said i could have reasurance scan and i will get another one in just over a week not sure why they just offered me it so i took it,i have known ladies who have lied to get early scans which i think it utterly disgusting cos to suffer a real scare or mc in pregnancy is truly horrible i dont understand how ppl could do this :-/ crazy world we live in xx

yes that is awful.To be honest I didn't even realise you could have early scans untill I was advised to have one. I've had blood tests to determine if I needed mine and the midwife is worried i'm high risk so thats why I got sent for one. but I agree you can't just go and have one for the sake of it but I do think if are worried and so is the midwife after any tests you are definetly entitled one, thats all I was pointing out in the first post xx

yes of course this is true and if the mw thinks that u should have one even more so hope all goes ok xx

yes and a few others too. believe me I would love to not have to go and find out if I may have miscarried

I understand this hun and I hope all is OK with your bean tomorrow!

I was just saying we shouldn't be advocating that people run off to EPU's just because they are worried.

My moto is unless you have something to worry about then you should try to relax.

I've had 3 miscarriages hun, I know how horrible it is but I'd be so angry if people were clogging up the EPU just because they felt worried??

Best of luck tomorrow

xxxxxxx

thanks , I completely agree with you. didn't mean it to sound like I was condoning it in any way, I just meant for high risk xx

My MIL actually suggested just 'telling a wee white lie' to get an early scan with my DD. I was horrified. Apparently my SIL did it :shock:
I had an early scan in the epu with my 2nd but only because I genuinely had no clue when I conceived (we were ntnp) and the doctor wanted to know my exact date as I was high risk.
After actually having a bleed this time I would never wish it on anyone. Especially on a weekend and having to wait till Monday xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

its crazy wen u think ppl can actualy lie about bleeding etc in early preg just to get a scan, i dont think they would be quite willing if they had actualy had a scare or a previous mc,if someone is that worried then pay for the scan dont go telling fibs its asking for trouble as im a firm beleiver in karma im shuddering at the thought :-/ x

I believe in karma too, that's awful for a professional to suggest that. Imagine if you did lie and then found out something was wrong!awful x

I'm with JoJo on this one, I can't believe people would lie about such a horrible thing like that. I'd love to get an early private scan but dh want's to save our money and get one at more like 26-28 weeks when the baby will be clearly visible on one of those fancy scans. I however, would like both ;) alas money and all that! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back