Meet our baby..

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Axolotls!!

I got OH and myself one for our 8year anniversary today they came today. Both only 6 weeks old. OH had been banging on about them for ages and theyr pretty easy to keep and much cuter when they're older. They have no names yet as theyr so small and hard to tell them apart.

I posted a pic of them when theyr older for u to see, theyr like wee pokemon LOL.

Anyone on here got these ?

xxxxx

Attachments

• IMG-20130508-00627.jpg
    IMG-20130508-00627.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG-20130508-00628.jpg
    IMG-20130508-00628.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 140
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 138
Wow! What a unique present! They are strangely beautiful x

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

Thanks yes theyr endangered speices in the wild but popular in captivity if u like. They can regrow limbs really quick.

They live in cold water can get pink, black, speckley and gold. Also albino ones but theyr a bit freaky like theyr wearing contacts lol.

Its a different prezzie isn't it ? We don't usually do presents just a meal but I felt spontaneous xxxxx

I have wanted these for ages! We keep snakes, tarantulas amd a crested gecko at the moment and have kept scorpions, bearded dragons, leopard geckos and praying mantids in the past.
Only thing I find difficult with axolotls is keeping the waters ph and things at the proper level. Thats what has put me off is the contant water checking.
Let me know how it is for you and I may reconsider

Awwww how cute!!

What is it though?? LOL!

Happy anniversary to you and OH

xxxxxx

Awwww...raging! :) I've wanted one for ages! :) You're going to have to post regular pics for me.

My friend keeps 3, 2 pinks and a black. All she told me to do was clean the tank a lot more when theyr babies but its only little tubs theyr in just now so can't moan about cleaning the tubs lol. When theyr older she said to clean the tank like once a week, probably more if u have 2 in the tank at the one time.

They stay in cold water. U can either get water clarifyer or leave the water out 1-2 days. She doesn't check the PH etc. Well she didn't mention? I did see that people on caudata were checking the PH but I don't know if that's like for the pros or people that's right into it ? My friend says theyr soo easy. I stress out if I don't know what to do with animals so she wouldn't have said they were easy knowing theyr not lol ? They need a little tank filter but has to be small as they don't like too much water movement but this is when they r in theyr tank. They stay in tubs for a little while yet. I've got a small tank for them but will need atleast 2ft floor space eventually.

They are related to salamanders nat.

I'm thinking of naming mine suki short for vasuki, my cats r both japanese names - vasuki was a japaese myth of a sea serpent/dragon who roamed the seas. Not sure yet though.

I will update pics and updates for those who r interested!

Ahh wish me luck, never kept anything in water or a tank other than a goldfish..

xxxxx

I have wanted these for ages! We keep snakes, tarantulas amd a crested gecko at the moment and have kept scorpions, bearded dragons, leopard geckos and praying mantids in the past.
Only thing I find difficult with axolotls is keeping the waters ph and things at the proper level. Thats what has put me off is the contant water checking.

OH would love ur house, he's into all those sorts of things. After I suprised him with the axos he said, you know, I'd realy like a lizard and I quickly said not gonna happen! I like them and all I like all animals. But 2 cats, a baby and 2 axos are enough for me to occpy my mat time with and I don't want tanks all over the place, we live in a flat so need the space.

xxxxx

For the first few months all u need to starts is

A med/large tub (I got 2 so ones always ready to change them into)
A turkey baster, seringe or pippet for feeding
Water dechlorifyer.
Axos
Live Daphnia (food)

That's it! Theyr cheap to keep we intend on putting money away for a tank until theyr bigger. £7.50 for 2 babies from ebay. Posted next day. So if anyones interested in keeping them its actually really easy and cheap for the first while. The tank prob is the most u need to pay. The live Daphnia is £1 a bag. I got 2 bags to do them a week as they r really only tiny and this food is smaller and there is LOADS of them!

xxxxx

OH would love ur house, he's into all those sorts of things. After I suprised him with the axos he said, you know, I'd realy like a lizard and I quickly said not gonna happen! I like them and all I like all animals. But 2 cats, a baby and 2 axos are enough for me to occpy my mat time with and I don't want tanks all over the place, we live in a flat so need the space.

xxxxx

Crested geckos are lovely little lizards and so easy to keep. They live mainly off dry complete food that you mix with water and you change that every other day. Give them a good water spray every night and thats it really. We give ours crickets every now and again too. The set up was the most expensive thing but they are stunning.

At the mo we have 2 snakes (a corn snake and a 12 ft Burmese python), 8 tarantulas, the gecko, 2 cats, a fish, a 1 year old and a 4 year old lol

oh and the geckos set up isnt too big. its around 3ft high, 2ft width and depth so doesnt take up much space

Lovely little dudes :) are you keeping them in a full tank if water or half water half land?

I've got two aquariums, one 4ft one 48 litre. I'd love a vivarium too but oh wont let me :(

Gosh! I think with lizards I'd be scared if it got out because theyr so small and fast. I would prefer a big lizard like a bearded dragon but I know if I got gekos where would it end lol. OH is like me and if I'm not allowed another cat he's not allowed lizards, wed end up with loads. The snake is cool! I quite like snakes. How big is the python ?

R the kids confident around them? I guess its good u have such diff animals, ur kids won't be scared of things most would.

xxxxx

Fro, not sure yet, I know the sand looks better and everthing but my friend said its quite hard to clean because it makes the water cloudy when cleaning etc. I need a 2ft width tank eventually for them I can't wait for them to get big I've always wanted something unusual. I think water creatures r so relaxing to watch.

The axos r tiny and amusing me the way they go to the top and float back down sideways with their arms out LOL

xxxxx

the pythons around 12ft in length and as thick as a loaf of bread lol. Our eldest never used to be scared of them but says she is now. Bearded dragons are quite high maintenance as such. need certain temps, UVB bulb on a daily cycle, fresh veg everyday and crickets quite often. Ours died a few months ago but couldnt get one again due to the space and how much they need.
Leopard geckos cant run up walls and things but the crested gecko can lol, but he prefers staying im his tank

Hey ladies

Here's another of my little gems. I moved them into a big tub rather than two small ones and gave them a hide as they like to hide inside things theyr natrually from caves.

xxxxx

Attachments

• IMG-20130509-00653.jpg
    IMG-20130509-00653.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 66
Love these they where on QiI and are made of lots of stem cell and if you where to cut off one of there legs they can grow it back, so scientists use them for stem cell reaserch and regrowing our own organs one day in the far future. So people with heart and lung disease could heal there organs! Amazing creatures x

Yeah theyr so cool! They can evolve aswell when u put iodine in the water into a salamander. Imagine having like a real life pokemon.

The limb regeneration is really fast for axos. So far none have ate off any of each others arms.

I'm a geek to, I love QI. I seen them on there aswell xxxxx

the pythons around 12ft in length and as thick as a loaf of bread lol. Our eldest never used to be scared of them but says she is now. Bearded dragons are quite high maintenance as such. need certain temps, UVB bulb on a daily cycle, fresh veg everyday and crickets quite often. Ours died a few months ago but couldnt get one again due to the space and how much they need.
Leopard geckos cant run up walls and things but the crested gecko can lol, but he prefers staying im his tank

I was in pets at home tonight. Couldn't see any gekos I don't knw if there were none or what but I was so suprised to see all diff kinds of snakes!

And look at this I took, a bearded dragon with a cricket on its head!

xxxxx

Attachments

• IMG-20130509-00648.jpg
    IMG-20130509-00648.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members