Night feed

rainbow dancer

Reaction score
Lucy has just turned 5 months old and wakes every morning at 0400 and has a 7 oz bottle. I don't mind this at all but currently reading the baby whisperer which almost implies she should be sleeping through. She is starting on solids and has slept through in the past but only a handful of times. She generally has 5 or 6 7 oz bottles in the day with a 9 oz as bedtime one about 1900. Like I say I'm not complaining about getting up to feed her but just wanted to know peoples experiences. She often still wants to get up to play after night g
Feed !!

hey :dance:,
My LO is a similar age, and wakes up at 5-5.30am. He has a bottle, then I put him back to bed and we get up at around 8am. I haven't started my LO on solids yet, he was early so gonna leave it a bit longer. He has around 7, 6oz bottles a day but rarely drinks the whole 6ozxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:):)

Thanks Hun. Does your baby go straight back to sleep after the 5 o clock bottle? Lucy just plays until I then take her into my bed (bad habit I know!). Like I said I don't mind getting up just want her to not want to get up then!! I may try putting her in own room? X

If she's waking at the same time every morning it might be habit! Do you leave her for abit to see if she self settles or tried her with a dummy?

I must admit I don't leave her too long cause she starts to cry so maybe I need to leave her longer she has never liked a dummy so can't even try that. I think alot of the problem is I don't want her waking hubby but maybe he needs to go into spare room or is time for me to move her xx

Oh dear, we're really behind! We put Sophia to bed at 7.30pm and she wakes for a feed at 8.30pm, 1am, 4am and 6am. We started controlled crying two nights ago to drop the first feed, maybe we should be dropping two! She's pretty good in the mornings in the cot on her own though, talking to the toys in her cot.

Last edited:
Hey Hun are you breastfeeding ? Lucy is bottle fed so perhaps that's why she can last a wee bit longer. Your lo does well to play in cot, have you started on a little bit of solids? Sounds like she may need filling up a bit?? I started to give Lucy baby rice, about 4 weeks ago, on advice of nursery nurse as she had been sleeping then was waking and having 2 7 oz bottles through the night and we have managed to reduce that to one now . I know it's not what you should do but she does seem more content. Hope she drops a feed soon for u, u must be knackered xx

Thanks Hun. Does your baby go straight back to sleep after the 5 o clock bottle? Lucy just plays until I then take her into my bed (bad habit I know!). Like I said I don't mind getting up just want her to not want to get up then!! I may try putting her in own room? X

Hey chick,:)

It takes him a little while, he doesn't cry and he does end up going back to sleep. I never go back in, as i know he just been fed, dry etc. So i just leave him to it. I still use the baby monitor, which can always be turned down to "very quiet" :lol:. Yeah try her in her own room. Lo been in his own room since about 6 weeks so hes used to it now. Sounds awful, but its easier to ignore any sounds/talking/playing when they are in their own room, if LO was in with me i would prob end up putting him in bed with me :) xxxxxx

Last edited:
I might help you to see that Devon was doing well and sleeping all night, but since teathing has been getting up in night, time varies from 12 midnight, 1am, or 4am or both!! Could be habit, but he will not go back off without milk, and I can and then can't really do controlled crying as his cot is by our doorway and my 2 sons room doorway is right nearby, so I just go with it. I do have to bring him in with me to feed as BF lying down , he then falls asleep. If I wind him after tho he would be awake and playing! So I just let him sleep. Hubby works nights tho, so Devon and I have lots of space so he doesn't go near my duvet etc and has his own blanket. I know perhals a habit I should break coming in with me, but it works for now, so all good and makes the night feeds very bearable.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. Jj mum I know what you mean if it works don't break it and I'll be honest I'll do anything for sleep !!!. She Is now in her own room first night last night and she has done well, just given her 0400 bottle waiting too see if she gonna go back to sleep !!! Xx

This might sound like a stupid question, but do you get her out of the cot to feed her? I always give Lizzie her night feed whilst she's still laying down and she drifts off again whilst feeding.
Also, if she's never taken to a dummy, have you tried giving her a 'security blanket' type thing? I always put the same 'cuddly' in with Lizzie every time she sleeps and sometimes just giving her that to hold can help her get back to sleep. Very useful to have for the future too - my 2 yr old niece still gets comfort from her 'cuddly' (actually a bit of cot bumper that she got attached to as a baby lol) x

Thanks ladies she was awake for an hour and half fell back asleep and didn't wake till 8!! Which was lovely . Becky thank you for advice never thought of feeding her inthe cot or giving a comforter will try both things tonight!! Xx

Hey Hun are you breastfeeding ? Lucy is bottle fed so perhaps that's why she can last a wee bit longer. Your lo does well to play in cot, have you started on a little bit of solids? Sounds like she may need filling up a bit?? I started to give Lucy baby rice, about 4 weeks ago, on advice of nursery nurse as she had been sleeping then was waking and having 2 7 oz bottles through the night and we have managed to reduce that to one now . I know it's not what you should do but she does seem more content. Hope she drops a feed soon for u, u must be knackered xx

Thanks, I was, lol!!

That night we started CC and turns out she really really didn't need those feeds, she now goes till 3.30am!

I think she was ill cos she went right off food for a while but boy is she back on it now!

Hope you're coping without her in the room!!

My Lo didn't have a dummy and we were still feeding twice in night but I gave him a dummy one day about 2 weeks back and started sleeping through. He didn't want it when he was younger but loves it now but it has to be the avent ones he won't take any other. Everyone keeps saying it won't last but I hope it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back