Planning for a C-Section!

EllieBelle

Reaction score
Well unless my breech bubs decides to turn I am currently booked in for a C-Section on Jan 16th!

I want to ensure the experience is as pleasant as possible so was wondering what I should be thinking of in terms of a birth plan in order to make it more personal.

I have a few notes written such as:

Wanting to be awake throughout the operation
Wanting to be kept informed of whats happening
Still wanting skin to skin contact if possible
DH to be present
Wanting to breastfeed

Any more suggestions of things I need to consider.....??

Lastly, can music be played during the C-Section and can we bring our own (if so what format?).

Many Thanks

As you know i had an emergency c section and i had all of what you listed except the music. i cant see that being a problem though.

Claire xx

p.s remember big knickers to cover the scar!!

^^ totally, i couldn't wear any of the knickers i'd took with me, or some of the pajama pants!

i had a really rubbish experience with my emergency c-section, general anaestetic, my OH wasn't there, no skin to skin contact. it sucked.
if i had been awake though i'd have loved to have some music i like on!

Oh I had music, we'd bought some along for the delivery room and I made OH bring a CD down to theatre when I was wheeled down. Mine was an emergency too.

It took them ages to sew me back up again (they did it about three time because of suspicious oozing!) so I didn't get skin to skin for a couple of hours. I did hold him whilst they were sewing me up but the epidural was a bit too good and I couldn't really support him by myself. Also I was a bit high after all the drugs and so wasn't really with it and kept falling asleep.

I can't see there would be a problem with anything you've listed though :) Good luck, hope bubs turns before the 16th but if not don't be worried if your belly swells up after the c section - the nurses will give you peppermint stuff to get rid of the gasiness :)

Thank you for the advice..........has anyone had a planned c-section and had more input into the actual operation, did you get skin to skin contact etc.

I have done lots of reading on c-sections, but its not the same as getting 1st hand experience!!

Also wondered how long it took you to recover, particularly whether you could walk up stairs when you got home - Our stairs are very steep and its tough getting up them now whilst pregnant.

Thanks you :hug:

nori said:
As you know i had an emergency c section and i had all of what you listed except the music. i cant see that being a problem though.

Claire xx

p.s remember big knickers to cover the scar!!

Exactly same as nori :D

Im still recovering hun, its week 4. Scars good, still bleeding "down there"(which occurs more if I something like go into town), still needing to be careful how I get out of bed (bending tummy etc), but apart from that I feel ok.
I had my section at 8pm, and was up and showering as soon as spinal wore off and could feel my legs (although kept getting told off by MWs for doing too much, the other section mums in my bay were in bed for day pr two relaxing, I was naughty lol)

Stairs were never a problem

I just wrote out a whole essay about my section and my laptop crashed :twisted:

ok here i go again....

I had a planned section due to my baby being transverse. I was absolutely terrified of the operation and recovery as i'd never had an op before and didnt know what to expect but i can honestly say i thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I know thats a little wierd but the theatre staff (was between 8 and 12 of them) were so funny and kept me laughing all the way through. If i had any questions i'd just shout "QUESTION" and someone would come to my side, i was asking silly stuff and kept shouting "have you cut me open yet?" my surgeon was quite good looking so i asked him if i had attractive insides :lol: I seriously really enjoyed it and would happily sit through another.
As my baby was lifted out i did feel pressure like someone pushing down hard on my stomach but i was never uncomfortable or in any pain. They then brought him over and held him to my cheek for a minute which was lovely. He was then taken to be cleaned on a little bay about 2m away from me where i could see him at all times. My OH then had a quick cuddle and held him on my shoulder in a blanket whilst i was stitched up. The stiching and everything takes between half an hour and 40 mins but i really didnt notice i was too focused on staring at my new baby. I was then taken into recovery which was literally the next room and my mum joined us.I had skin to skin for about 30 mins, it was really a special moment. They told me i could BF him then but he was quite happily settled on my chest so i let him be. After that i was wheeled back to the ward, baby still on chest and gave him his first feed. The MW helped me position him, He was born at 38+3, took straight to it and not looked back since. he fed for about 20 minutes and then fell asleep. After about 2 hours i started feeling some sensation in my legs again.
I recovered a lot slower than most and it took 2 days before i was well enough to get out of bed. I was not particuarly in that much pain just felt very tight and my body was heavy. It was frustrating having to call a MW everytime i wanted a cuddle with Dylan as i couldnt lift him out of his cot but they were great and didnt mind at all. They also took him for a few hours through the night, i didnt think i wanted this but i was just sooo tired and other than feeding him theres not alot els i could do for him so i agreed and im glad i did you need to get as much sleep as you can. By day 3 i was up and about. I was slow and a little sore but so much better than i would have imagined after major surgery. I went home on day 4 and was worried i wouldnt get upstairs but actually they were never a problem at all. By day 7 i was asking mum to take me to tescos lol (she wouldnt let me and went herself :evil: ) but i really did feel well enough to go. I'd say by about day 7 i was able to do what i wanted, i was sensible and didnt go lifting anything heavy but i didnt feel that i was too unwell to go about my normal jobs. Tomorrow Dylan will be 3 weeks old and my body feels great, the scars very neat and doesnt bother me at all. I have no pain just the occasional twinge (like when my dog jumped on my stomach, and im talking boxer dog!) i know when iv overdone it though, i went for a day in the sales with my family a few days back and my body ached afterwards but again i wasnt in pain.
I havnt really answered any of your questions but i wanted to share my experience with you. As far as making decisions about your surgery i cant really help either as i never truly believed i have to have a section until i was in a theatre gown! so just went with the flow. However, i spent the 2 weeks prior to my section in hospital and the night before i was talking to a woman who'd just had a section a few days before and told me her experience. I asked her anything that came in to my head and found it really helped me. So if you have any questions at all that i might be able to answer please pm me, i'd be more than happy to help.
But seriously, i hope your not too nervous, i really did enjoy the experience and theres nothing at all to be scared of. My LO's here now and we're both perfectly happy and healthy and so will you be. A section is not the horrible experience i imagined at all so dont assume the worst about it, i'd do it again tomorrow :) :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back