Really want to breastfeed!(update 25.10)

MissThing

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was dead set on brestfeeding even before Danny was born, but after he lost lots of weight and I was told he is starving and had to go to the hospital and start to give him bottle.
I was told to express milk to see how much he is having and top him up with formula. I could only express about 2oz maximum at a time.

He is my first baby, so I really didnt know what to do...After about 1.5 weeks of expressing I just started to give him formula...Which I regret a LOT! Wish somebody would have told me to keep breastfeeding...But I really had no one to and I was scared that my baby will be starving.

But then one day (I already stopped expressing for about a week, he was 3 weeks old) I just gave him a boob. It was such a natural thing to do!
So I started to breasfeed him again and top it all with a formula.
I also expressed some milk, and I could just get less then an 1oz! After 2 weeks of breastfeeding (I still top up with a bottle) I can express 2oz! So, it is increasing...

Is there any way in my situation to inrease milk supply? Or will it just stay like that?

Thanks for your replies!

First of all thanks to everyone for replies :D :hug:
I decided to take everything slowly. I tryed just to breastfeed Daniel throught the day, but in the evening/morning feed to give him bottle. I just cant stand him screaming his head off :(
One of the things I started to do is trying to breastfeed Daniel in the night as well. He is a bit grumpy, and totally doesnt want to take a boob (I think its more difficult, then a bottle). But I am trying :)
Ordered tea, pills and extract from this http://www.breastfeedingheaven.co.uk/in ... at&catId=5

Hopefully it helps :D
Trying to express milk when I am not feeding him. The biggest I can manage is 2oz :( (in the morning).
Will keep this sort of diary :) Will try to update it every 3 days or so. I think it will make easier for me to see the changes :D
Thanks all for support :D

Today HV came and Daniel weigh above average! yay!
I expressed again, and there were 3oz with no problems! I started to have More Milk plus (its fenugreek plus something else). Hopefully it is only a start! :D

rest rest rest and lots of nutritional food regualarly. Plenty to drink but not too much . Feeding baby regularly.

all of the above will result in a larger milk supply.

go to bed for a couple of days and stay there.

Ignore the housework for a while and get lots of rest - maybe your OH could take over with the absolute essentials in the house for a few days?
Also feed baby as often as he wants, the more you feed, the more it will increase.

Good luck and if you feel down, just come on the forum, we are all here to give you LLLLLLLLoooooooooooooooads of support!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You can try taking fenugreek as well, it takes a few days to work and makes your milk smell of maple syrup but it worked well for me when I'd been a bit unwell and my milk supply went down. I think it said to take 2 capsules a day on the bottle but I took 3 twice a day to start with.

Other than that, to echo the ladies above, make sure you rest, drink plenty of water & eat regularly. Snack in between meals and eat loads of fruit & chocolate! Feed your son as often as he wants, ignore the clock completely.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :hug:

I thought I read once that eating oats was good for milk supply?

I had exactly the same problem with my Dan, he was on an oxygen box and drip (bronchlitis) so couldn't feed him and my milk supply dropped dramtically. I was expressing and getting next to nothing! The most important thing I was told, was to pump, pump pump! Up to 8 times a day for around 20 mins, even if no milk is coming out. I was also offered Domperidone
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfe ... ridone.htm
Even with pumping and taking fenugreek it was quite a while before my milk supply increased so don't lose heart! Good luck hun :D

Carina said:
After 2 weeks of breastfeeding (I still top up with a bottle) I can express 2oz!

Be aware that Danny will be much better at getting milk out of you than you will be from expressing yourself. So you may only get 2oz out at the mo but Danny will be getting more. :D

Also echo what everyone else has said resting, eating (yum!) and drinking lots.

Good luck, let us know how you go.....

Pretty much what everyone has advised - rest, go to bed with him or stay in on the sofa for a few days and just feed, feed, feed. Eat well, lots of oats (good excuse to scoff the flapjacks ;) ), try fenugreek capsules or mothers milk tea (ask in your local health store), drink lots of water, plenty of skin to skin contact.
This website has lots of advice on boosting your supply.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
And here for weaning off of formula
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

I can really recommend Kellymom, they're info has helped me through lots of times when I've been stuck.

If you need any support then there are lots of people on here that will help you through.

Good luck! :hug:

Minxy said:
I thought I read once that eating oats was good for milk supply?

yep most probably me saying that

a bowl or two of porridge oats is good.

avoid chocolate and coffee as it can can make the baby unsettled .

lol - at first i thought who the fooks kellysmum and looked back on the posts thinking it was amember. Then isaw the link :rotfl:

who is she?

Have no idea but the website helped me loads first time round, especially when I kept getting blocked ducts etc.

Kina said:
Have no idea but the website helped me loads first time round, especially when I kept getting blocked ducts etc.

she should be crowned.

budge said:
Kina said:

she should be crowned.

Maybe they'll do it at the same time as knighting you for your wit? :D

:D

Thank everyone for advice!
Will stay in bed with baby for a while :D
Kellymum is brilliant!!!
The only question, what should I do with the formula? Should I take it off slowly? Or should I try just breastfeeding and pumping during the day, and in the later feeds give him some formula as well?

Carina said:
:D

Thank everyone for advice!
Will stay in bed with baby for a while :D
Kellymum is brilliant!!!
The only question, what should I do with the formula? Should I take it off slowly? Or should I try just breastfeeding and pumping during the day, and in the later feeds give him some formula as well?

:wave: i would stop the formula all together.

Yeah stop it all together, keep putting LO to the breast, I know it may seem as though your not getting much out sometimes but I can definatly say you will have some eventualy! I used to squeeze my boobies to encourage a let down :wink:

Will he get enought? I was just breastfeeding for about 2 hours non stop (well, he was sucking almoust non stop) and after that he still had 4 oz of formula.
And before I gave him formula he was all grumpy.

I'm not too sure what would be best Carina, but I'd recommend that you speak to a breastfeeding counsellor as they're trained to help and will be able to offer you lots of support. Do you have the contact details for any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back