Tips for getting baby to take milk from Cup

Zodiac

Reaction score
Hi there,

Well - my LO is exclusively breastfed, but I'm going back to work at beginning of November, so need to get him onto a cup for his daytime feeds by then.

I've just started to introduce a cup (sippy cup with spout) for his 3pm milk feed, but he's getting majorly upset when I try & get him to take it. He has EXACTLY the same cup for his water, which he takes from ok.

My HV said I just need to perserve and not offer breast at this feed so he doesn't get into he habit of 'kicking off' until I give in... but he's had barely any milk at this feed for 3 days now. Have any of you had similar experiences? How long is it likely to take for him to get the hang of this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks ladies

Zodiac said:
My HV said I just need to perserve and not offer breast at this feed so he doesn't get into he habit of 'kicking off' until I give in... but he's had barely any milk at this feed for 3 days now. Have any of you had similar experiences? How long is it likely to take for him to get the hang of this?

This is a time when the HV is right :lol:

Lil miss will have a cup of milk when I'm at work... Not much, but she was basically given the cup each day and told to get on with it... I wasn't around so no boob.. so if she wanted the milk it was a cup or no milk. Lots of tears were shed, but she eventually understood that was how milk came when mummy wasn't there. It is just perseverance in this case. Everyday the cup and if shes not happy then thats tough.. Sounds harsh but after a while they get the idea that you are in charge and thats just the way things are. You HAVE to go to work so they HAVE to get the idea.

You could try to get someone else to give her the milk too, because lil miss gets a tad grumpy if I have the audacity to give her milk in a sippy cup, she will take it but she makes it known that she's not happy and will demand boob afterwards, despite drinking all the milk in the cup... lil miss likes the hard tommee tippee cups for milk as they seem to be easier for her...

I went back to work when Lola was 10 months old. I've never been able to get her to take a bottle and she will only drink out of sports type bottles :roll:
I was so worried about about returning to work and her having no milk all day. I feed her just before i go to work at about 7.40am and as soon as i pick her up at 5pm. When I'm off work she just feeds whenever she wants too as she did before.

She's been fine though and my Mum says she'll a little angel while I'm not there. She will just have water or juice when I'm not there. My mum said she's never really got too upset about it. I think i may just have been very lucky though :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back