Annual Leave / Holiday Entitlement

Sabrina

Reaction score
I was told I have to take ALL my holiday entitlement BEFORE I start my maternity leave. I will start maternity leave first week in July. I have a handover period where I have to train up someone to cover my job. That person will be in/out the office on other training courses so it's really impractical for me to take 30 days (6 weeks) off before July!!

After probing further I found out "in special circumstances" the holiday leave can be given in pay instead of weeks off. I had to get my boss' agreement to this but at least it means I am not forced into taking time off when I don't want to.... or worse.. losing my holiday.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone. If you are told the same about having to take your holidays ask if you can be paid "in lieu" instead.

Sabrina
x

i was signed off sick from sept till my due date (which was was dec 24 - induction date was 4th dec). my matt leave started 26th nov. I had 8 days holiday left to take, but they offered to pay me for them as i would be unable to take them. but then the director decided that they could be cairred over to this year instead.

Still, im going to take a some of my unpaid months, then a chunk of my holiday, then most prob only work a few weeks! before xmas! :dance:

fab news though! will pay for a bulk of babies stuff :dance: :hug:

You do not have to take all your holiday before you maternity leave, I have taken all mine afterwards & it states on the form that your employer fills in, is the employee taking holiday before or after maternity leave

Maybe it works differently for some companies. They definitely said it's usual procedure for all leave to be taken before the maternity leave starts. :(

Anyway, it's nice that they are going to pay me instead. That'll be a little bonus to put away.

Mine said I had to either use up my A/L before maternity leave or I could take 7 days paid.. as I had 9 days A/L I lost 2 days worth..........but then my company were not very supportive.

Don't forget you still acrue annual leave when your on maternity leave so you should have some stored up for when you go back anyway!

I found out I am legally entitled to my bank hols being paid!!!! Nice one!! Not sure if this is company situation or legal but worth ALL of us looking into! I have qualifications in HR and had no idea about that little gem!

What paid bank holidays while you are on Maternity leave??

Yeah I have been told they are going to pay me for them because I can't work them.... Worth checking it out. Another preg friend just told me the same...

Thanks for that tip Glow. I shall find out bout the bank holiday pay next week. :)

I think my HR Department dread it when they see me coming these days! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back