Swine Flu Vaccine- Should I have been offered it?

Pudds86

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

Was just chatting with my hubby and Im a bit annoyed now thinking back on my care.

When the HV first came to see me she told me "we didnt know about you until you'd had your baby and I havent been given any information about you yet". She told me she should have come to see me when I was still pregnant. Makes me think my midwife didnt process me through properly. Also in the hospital Campbell didnt have an identity band on at all and when I asked them they said they would write one by hand. When I was discharged it came to light that the midwife who had delivered him hadnt put any notes on the system at all! Looking through my notes now there are tons of gaps where they had to fill it in quickly when I asked to leave.

What made us start to talk about this is the fact that everywhere I look there is talk of swine flu... pregnant women are in the 'high risk' group and a sign at my doctors says that everyone in the high risk groups would / should have received letters to invite them to the clinic to be vaccinated with the seasonal flu vaccine. I never received a letter... could this be the same reason the HV didnt know about me?

How many of you were offered a vaccine? I am freaking out about getting ill and I wanna barracade myself in the house until it all passes!!!

xx

:shock: Thats awful about the identity band!

I was sent a letter as far as I know hun, I'd look into it further xx

I didn't get a letter, just got bombarded when I went to see the midwife, and saw the nurse the same time

I didn't get offered it.

Can't believe you didn't have a band! Blake had two AND a security tag round his foot!

I never saw a health visitor when I was pregnant with my daughter or my son, only saw her once Grace was here and we were at home. The health visitors main concern is the baby so I doubt they would want any info on you until baby is delivered. I wasn't offered the swine flu jab whilst I was pregnant with Ethan, I think I just missed out though, I think if I had not had him early I would of had it. I think maybe you had Campbell before the flu campaign started. Can't believe that about the ID band though, Both Grace and Ethan had two - one on each foot or on incubator. Grace's kept falling off!

Well the health visitor said to me that I must have registered late with the midwife because they didnt know anything about me at all. I registered at 8 weeks pregnant so I think they had plenty of time.

Regarding the bands I had to ask for one they didnt notice he wasnt wearing any! I got a handwritten one and the 'proper' ones the day we left because they finally printed them off the computer. The community midwife I saw on Day 10 was shocked when I said he wasnt given any.

I think I am going to look into it all further actually. I have been given a number for 'reflections' where you can call to talk over any aspect of your care. Might just do that. I want the jab now so I may even phone to speak to my midwife and ask if I should have had it. Hopefuly she will talk to me even though they have discharged me. xx

My OH and I were talking about the swine flu vacine recently too! We were never offered it, but the ladies on here mentioned it a few weeks ago. It's too late for me now, but I don't know if me having it when preg would then protect , imunise Devon, or I would do it still if not too near my section.

I think the HV won't visit till after I'm outta hosp, and prob just once then.

The whole care thing shocks me nowadays - My last appointment made for me by midwife was 27 weeks, she refered me to hosp for scan to check size. All was well, and I saw hosp after that at 34 weeks and then not again. so question is how does midwife know or care that all was well!! she didn;t ring me or write to me to check or make any more appointments? as far as she knows I have seen no one since her at 27 weeks!! bad ...

Shocking about wrist bands tho

I was never offered it - had to keep ringng my doctors surgery and finally got an appointment. DH has now also got one (he paid £10 for one in the pharmacy) as one of the doctors at the hospital recommended that he get one too as a new Dad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back