Health Visitor

HeppiBean

Reaction score
Ok so I had a letter through this morning from the health visitor... Got an appointment for her to come round on 19 July...

Question is.... What happens when they come out? And generally what sort of thing will it be about? OH and I are intrigued.... xx

health visitor doesnt normally come out till after u have baby so not sure she comes just asks u how u are and that hows things with baby are then u visit her getting jags and stuff for baby and at each miestone of babys life make sure they doing what they gotta do and if u have any little troubles she could sort out so never heard of 1 coming out before baby in me life x

Oh :eh:... Bloody woman! What does she want then!! lol xx

I've never heard of a health visitor coming before the birth either...I wouldn't worry too much about it though, i'd imagine they'll only be round for a chat. You could always phone up and just say there might have been a mistake, you've been sent out an appointment but you've not had your baby yet, and see what you say, no harm in asking, at least you'd be prepared for the reasons behind it.

Sounds like a good idea... Just don't wanna sound like an idiot if it's just the way they do things :/ lol xx

I mean the letter says....

"As you will soon be having your baby I would like to visit you at home on .... blah blah blah... to discuss what your local Health Visiting Service can offer."

I just don't get why they need to come out to me for that? :eh: Makes no sense to me.... xx

My MIL is a social worker and used to be a health visitor, and i've never heard her say anything about visits before birth (so they may happen but are less common) and i've never heard anyone else mention it.

You defo wont sound silly, just say on the phone that you've never heard of anyone else having a visit before hand, and that you cant understand what will be getting discussed, you could make out like you think there is some confusion about the appointment. I was sent through an appointment to see a gynocologist after I found out i was pregnant and I just phoned and said..i think there's been a mistake I dont need that, can you please tell me why that has been booked ect then they realised they'd made a mistake and I shouldn't have an appointment.

I'll give them a call tomorrow I think... So confused!! Lol xx

Mine always came to see me after but afew girls on here have had visits before. It all depends on where you live x.

I guess that makes sense... Just don't see what they'd have to talk to me about before she's here that the MW can't do :/ x

I mean the letter says....

"As you will soon be having your baby I would like to visit you at home on .... blah blah blah... to discuss what your local Health Visiting Service can offer."

I just don't get why they need to come out to me for that? :eh: Makes no sense to me.... xx

By the looks of what the letter says it could just be an innocent visit, maybe it is slightly different in your area. They would maybe give you some baby tips too? Ask where baby will be sleeping, are you able to get everything you need ect ect.

Sounds to me like they're just trying to poke their nose in :( x

Hi hunni when i had my eldest i didnt meet HV til 10 days after birth... When i had the youngest she visited me before the birth to give me the red baby book and explain stuff see if i had any questions etc

I just put the red book into hosp bag so they could record hearing test results etc at the hosp, hope that helps

(glad i remembered too cos youngest will be 7 in dec!) xx

Hi hunni when i had my eldest i didnt meet HV til 10 days after birth... When i had the youngest she visited me before the birth to give me the red baby book and explain stuff see if i had any questions etc

I just put the red book into hosp bag so they could record hearing test results etc at the hosp, hope that helps

I'm planning on having a home birth and from what I have just been reading about health visitors I am quite concerned about meeting her for the first time at my home!

I'm planning on having a home birth and from what I have just been reading about health visitors I am quite concerned about meeting her for the first time at my home!

Ah ok sorry i have no experience of home births whatsoever

(after being pinned down for an epidural with dd1! im a big fan of hospital and all the drugs i can get haha) Not sure then maybe she would still give you it and if/when you have hearing test done you've got it already

the only experience ive had is in a hosp maybe they decided its a good idea to have the book before hand to record stuff like the PKU (if thats what it is cant remember) at birth etc, but im sure your midwife at home would fill it in the same.

I didnt like my first HV and tbh with last daughter didnt like the fuffing MW's either lol xxxx

I've just read that HV's tend to visit before the birth if they are concerned about your unborn childs welfare after they are born... I get the feeling this has something to do with my MW pestering and pestering to get SS involved even though she has no found reason to do so... Hence why I'd like to meet her away from my home so she can get an idea of what myself and my partner are like and us her before she comes to our home!

I had no idea!!! I know here in Hull it changed and HV now come before the birth instead of afterwards, all the people i know that've had babies in past 7 yrs here have had the same.

If your anything like me hunni you'll be on the defensive straight away anyway!!!

Personally if you feel happier meeting elsewhere then just contact her n tell her!

Im not sure but can they really force you to let her into your home? xxx

They can't even force me to accept their services if I choose not to... There is no legal requirement to having a health visitor they just make you think there is. If you decide not to they'll try and force you into it but at the end of teh day you have a right to say no. x

Im a mum to 2 and had no idea! Just put up with the condesending cows!

Dont get me wrong some are lovely just not the ones ive come into contact with!

At the end of the day whatever you n your oh feel is best is best end of!

Please dont stress too much wont do you any good xxx

I'll try, I do feel better about reading that article.. And I trust it's genuine as was on AIMS website :) I don't want to completely say no but I will stand my ground on my own decisions. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back